Skipping night feedings

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
deerhart

Re : Skipping night feedings

Postby deerhart » Fri Jun 18, 2004 09:41 am

We co-slept with both kids while I was BFing, simply because I would be too exhausted at night to get up nurse then put them back in the bassinet.

Alex didn't start skipping night feedings until 5 months old. BUT he ate every hour on the hour for the first 3 1/2 months. He would start nursing on the hour and nurse for 30-45 mins, break and start up again on the hour for the first 8-10 weeks. The next few weeks he would only nurse for 15 mins then break for 45 mins. I have a feeling most nights he nursed straight through while I slept.

Mason weaned himself off the breast by 8weeks (he would simply just refuse it) and was only having 1 night feeding by 6 weeks. He would eat at 10:30-11 and then would have a 3 or 4 am feeding.

I would suspect she might lsow down for 2 weeks and skip the feeding, and then pick it back up around 6 weeks old with her growth spurt, then possibly drop it again until 12 weeks when they typically have another spurt.

If she's hungry she will cry, and as long as she is gaining wait, feeding on demand is usually fine. Enjoy the extra sleep =)

Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Fri Jun 18, 2004 09:15 am

I'm not surprised Laura, all of my kids have been co-sleepers until they reached the roll-over/sleep through the night stage and they all transitioned to the crib painlessly and slept there the night through quite happily. I think it's karmic payback which we are owed BIG TIME!!!!

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors

laura

Postby laura » Fri Jun 18, 2004 08:44 am

Amanda, we just resigned ourselves to the fact that our kids end up in bed with us, and got both the Snugglenest co-sleeper- a little box-like thing to place between us in bed until the critter is substantial enough not to get squished and used a Arms reach co-sleeper attached to the bed until she could push up in a crawling position-- If I can't see my (little) baby where I lie, I wake up all night and get up and check otherwise

(now, after all that, this kid is the one who cries to sleep in her crib-- go figure [:p])

Arms reach cosleeper:
http://www.babybungalow.com/arreaccosvar.html

Snuggle nest:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001Y9VN2/qid=1087573382/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/104-3565845-4459911?v=glance&s=baby&n=507846

Good luck, hth!

Laura
Moderator/AK Coordinator

Mom to Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 and Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Fri Jun 18, 2004 08:22 am

Hi Amanda, so good to hear that things are going so well.

I'd play it by ear, she is probably too small now to go through the night regularly without a night feeding but every once in a while little babies may just be giving you a break. Bear in mind that she's probably coming up to a growth spurt fairly soon and she'll likely be on you like a leech [:0].

One of the things about BF, it's a more dynamic relationship than with FF. This just makes sense, the formula recipe is static, while the content of BM changes over time. The upshot of this is that I think it takes BF babies longer to get into a very established routine and then they break out of it more easily. It's very handy when you are out and about, if they get hungry when you don't expect it... well you're all ready to go. On the other hand, with growth spurts for example, you have to deal with maybe hourly nursing for a couple of days rather than being able to just give more at a feeding.

I'm curious as to why your ped would recommend the top up bottle. I don't know of anybody whose supply didn't drop off in the evening..... and then pick right up overnight. The biology of that explains the night sweats and all those uglies. However, volume issue aside, the evenings BM is just as nutritionally statisfying. Some babies are what are called cluster feeders. Lucy and Chloe both were. They would go a long time during the day between feeds 3-4 hours but in the evening from say 7-9 pm, they'd be on and off the breast like yo-yos. Then they'd settle down and sleep until 1 am, wake, nurse and then sleep until around 4. It wasn't purely hunger that would keep them feeding.... it was the contact and interaction component too. Finn, on the other hand.... every two hours non-negotiable. I used to say in the ugly blur of the first three months that I could remember distinctly the last time I'd had more than two hours of consecutive sleep..... the night before my water broke!!! He kept that up for his first nine weeks, then one day... he went to every 4 hours. Literally overnight and I was so engorged and pumped so much that there wasn't room in the freezer to deal with it all!! I tend to go by size rather than age when trying to figure out when they're old enough to go through the night by themselves.... because they have a big enough stomach to hold enough. 13-15 llbs is my personal rule of thumb. Sadly, mine are such skinny minis that means 6-8 months of night feeding.

As for the co-sleeping.... pace yourself. I think that for exclusively BF, some form of the practice is what evolves..... you're too tired to deal otherwise. There are things you can do that can make it as safe as possible but if you never get comfortable with it, that's fine too. This is one area where your expectations and what ultimately turns out to meet your needs sort of have to be worked through.

Hugs

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors

amandab

Skipping night feedings

Postby amandab » Fri Jun 18, 2004 07:47 am

Maija is one month old now (today!), and for the past week, she has been skipping a night feeding most nights. It is partly my fault. [:(] For example, I fed her at 10:30 pm last night. Tim then gave her a bottle of EBM to top her off. Pediatrician recommended this b/c my supply drops off in the evening, and she wasn't getting enough. We put her down to sleep at about 11:15 pm. She slept until 1 am. I changed her diaper and brought her to bed. She didn't seem to interested in eating yet so I thought I would play with her for a bit and try again. But we both fell asleep! She didn't wake up again until 4:30 am, and I fed her then.

This has been happening most nights for a week. Tim says we should be thrilled that she is sleeping through the night, and he thinks it is b/c she is finally getting enough to eat at night with the EBM bottle. I'm worried that she is too young to be going 5.5 or 6 hours without a feeding. If she isn't, then great, and I'll be happy! I'm also kicking myself for letting her sleep with us so many nights! I can't believe I keep letting that happen. I'm not anti family bed per se. I just don't think it is safe.

So should I force the night feeding especially if she does wake up like she did last night? Or should I accept that she doesn't really want a night feeding and just try to comfort her back to sleep when she wakes up? I'd love to hear thoughts on this!!

Amanda (28)
Hubby (29)
Maija Grace - 5/18/04 (36.5 wks), HELLP
~i~ Aidan Timothy - 4/14/03 (29 wks), pre-e and abruption

Return to “After your baby is born .....”