Sarah (troutorama).. Lucy's ears UPDATE

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
paljane8

Re : Sarah (troutorama).. Lucy's ears UPDATE

Postby paljane8 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 04:13 pm

Oh, I am so sorry, Catherine. I was just thinking about you the other day and wondering about Lucy. I am glad you updated. Not that there is ever a good time for surgery but, it sounds like now is the worst time for your family. Take care. Let us know when they schedule it. Your family is in my prayers.

Nancy Eastwood

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Thu Oct 21, 2004 07:19 am

Thanks Jennifer, the allergy shiners were a new concept to me too. I just thought that Lucy had inherited my "buggy" eyes LOL!

Yeah, I've no problem slipping away from work to visit the sessions, it's just that DH and I have some lectures and classes that we have to deliver and cannot reschedule (med students are as reasonable about having their schedules disrupted as two week old babies). This means constantly having to mess Lucy's schedule around, plus the pick up etc. bites off a significant portion of the work day. It's so much less disruptive and stressful for everyone this way.

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors

kylesmom

Postby kylesmom » Thu Oct 21, 2004 06:24 am

Catherine- I am just catching up on this one. Just wanted to say that I hope all goes well with the adenoids coming out and the tubes going in. I hope you discover the culprit at the allergy clinic... and I hope its not your cat! "Allergy shiners?" That's a new one to me... I am also very impressed with your doctors- you and Lucy are very lucky!

Glad to hear she will be getting some speech therapy. Sorry the report made you feel 'yucky.' As a speech therapist I know I try so hard to get the point across without making anyone feel badly! And as I read earlier, not every therapist is a good match for a child or family so be sure you are happy with yours. Do you have flexibility at work to be there every once in awhile? I hope all goes well.

Jennifer 33
Kyle born 8-13-03 @ 38 weeks (PE and Class I HELLP)
Connecticut Coordinator

annes
Forum Moderator

Postby annes » Thu Oct 21, 2004 05:43 am

The dreaded tubes! Poor Lucy, but anything to help her along, right? You are a super-mom with your cape on as you fly about contacting Dr.'s and everyone else! I hope the surgery goes well, and does what it is supposed to do. Parker gets ear infections a lot, but our Ped. wants to hold off on the tube to see how he does this winter, I don't know whether to be happy or sad about it[:p]. Good luck to your little sweetie!

Anne
DH Richard
Parker 7/6/03(severe pe)33wks

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Wed Oct 20, 2004 08:39 pm

Well, I can formally announce that our efforts were a bust. Lucy did her retake of her hearing test today and showed only faint indications of improvement. Poor deflection of her tympanic membrane again. Back in August when we saw the pediatrician last, it did look like her ears were clear but I guess that it didn't last long or isn't sufficiently well controlled with the meds. The ENT attending at the audiology clinic who immediately assessed her ears saw... more fluid. She has no conductance issues so once they drain, she should be in good shape.

So now we are going to go ahead and let them remove her adenoids and put in tubes. I really don't want to risk damaging her language and social development further. It obviously won't resolve the allergy issues but will remove the mechanical barriers to fluid drainage. Once she's over the surgery we'll take her to the allergy clinic and have her properly tested so that we can see to manage these allergies best. We have a cat so that's one potential allergen that we need to have assessed. Now that she's turned 3 she's going to be part of the School Districts Early Intervention 3-5 year old program. I'm loving this because these folk come to her daycare to see her.

I do love these docs though. First that the attending could see her straight after the test. Then I was emailing and on the phone to our ped.. who had already gotten the ENTs report (all the kids in the hospital records have a little bar code card just like your Krogers card) online and we've already gotten the referal to the allergy clinic. Turns out I'll know the senior fellow/junior attending... she started to do research in the lab nextdoor to me... Woopee!

Catherine

paljane8

Postby paljane8 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 02:50 pm

"Succky" is such an understatement! I feel for you, Catherine. Erin-who is a early intervention guru herself, is right. Whether you go with private or EI (which is fabulous and not based on income or insurance-at least in my state) find the therapist that connects with Lucy. I am still very good friends with Scott's ST, although I will never forgive her for teaching him "No"! Keep us updated, Catherine. You have a lot on your plate. I hope Lucy responds to the meds-what a bummer!

Michelle, I want to hear how Lainy does. Start a new thread, ok? Have you talked to the doc yet?

Nancy Eastwood
Moderator/WA State Co-Coordinator

Calvin-8yrs
Saren-7yrs
Scott-5yrs (PE)
Janie-1yr (PIH, oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Wed Jul 14, 2004 01:47 pm

Just catching you all up some more!! We were back at our regular pediatrician Monday. Still fluid in Lucy's ears. Her nose has been running a river since we started on the Rhinocort and decongestant. The ped reckons that it's time for the full court press. No signs of inflammation in her ears but we're going to do the antibiotic anyway in case there's an infection in her sinuses that is driving the drainage and impeding the action of steriod, effectively flushed out on a tidal wave of snot (and I'm not exaggerating here at all). So, our grand total is now:

Amoxicillin 2x day (for the next 10 days)
Rhinocort 1x day
Zyrtec 1x day at bedtime (allergies systemic)
Decongestant 2x

We go back in 3-4 weeks to see if there is improvement, if so, then the hearing screen again but she needs "dry" ears first.

Heaven help her, she'll feel like the Sahara before we're done.

The recommendation for speech therapy (and YES Nancy, the report made us feel just as sucky as you warned me) is 90 minutes a week. We've yet to get that sorted out, whether we go through EI (unlikely, we have amazingly good insurance and so are unlikely to be eligible.... not a problem.... ) or work with a private practice. Still working through that.

She's being very good about the "m'dcine" and has adapted to having that stuff go up her nose... but I think we'll have trouble again once the drainage clears up.... then she'll feel the full force [:0] of the spray!!

Catherine

momathelete

Postby momathelete » Wed Jul 07, 2004 07:48 pm

Catherine,

Thanks for the update on Lucy. You know, it sure sounds like my Lainey. She sleeps with her mouth open, but no snoring, she has a widened bridge, I just thought that she talked through her nose because she always had and her tongue comes out a little, but alot more when she was younger. Every smiled picture of her you can see her tongue smooshed against her teeth. I had a friend whose daughter just had her adenoids out and she is a little younger than Lainey is. She also had all of the same symptoms. It sure has me wondering.... Good luck with Lucy and thanks for the update!!

Michelle
Moderator -On Bedrest
Interim Local Coordinator -Illinois

mom to Cole (HELP pregnancy, 28 wkr) 5 yrs old
Lainey (preE pregnancy, 29 wkr) 2 yrs old
Ella (PIH, 17 wks bedrest, 37 wkr) 1 yr old

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:31 am

Catherine

The fluid in the ears can also be caused by the shape of the ear cannels not allowing the fluid to drain naturally. Alex had this problem from 5mo-11mo and when his head got a little bigger, the ears became a different shape and the fluid drained away (and he has had 1 ear infection since then). His ped said that for some kids it can take up to 5 years for the canels to go from sideways to more up and down. If his hadn't of changed they were going to put tubes in.
At 11 months he also had his test come back flat (no movement of the ear drums) and was at the VERY VERY bottom of normal on the hearing test. We had him tested because we noticed he has stopped turning his head towards some sounds and had some delayed reactions to sounds.
When they have fluid, what they hear is like you talking through a pillow.

We suspect that this may have led to some of Alex's problems with how intelligble his speech was but also he was tongue tied which didn't help.

Therapy can be exhausting for both you and the child and make sure you try out each therapist. They each have their own style and way of dealing with the child, some will and won't work for your child. Alex has spent the last year and a half in speech therapy. At first he started with 4 60 minute therapies a week at home (2 OT working on transitions and 2 speech) and last fall graduated to therapy in preschool. He will probably go this fall for 4 days a week and have speech every day.

If you have any questions or want some links to different resources, techniques, info I have those as well.

GL!

Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:20 am

Hey Nancy!! No, we haven't started yet. Lucy goes back to our regular ped on 7/12 to get her ears checked. Her nose is running like a torrent so perhaps we do still have infection issues to deal with, maybe not in her ears but in her sinuses. We got the formal report on her assessment last week, they recommended 90 minutes of therapy per week. I plan to discuss this with her ped. We'll probably end up going privately so although I have a list of practices, you know I want to deal with the folks that she personally recommends.

Catherine

Return to “After your baby is born .....”