Post Reply FAQ Members Login

BP high after first PP period

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

BP high after first PP period

Postby becj86 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 04:43 am

by becj86 (14 Posts), Thu Sep 01, 2011 04:43 am

Hi,

I was back to normal physically about a month PP. Now at 4.5 months PP, I've had high BP for the last 2 weeks (finally decided to get out of denial and get it checked 2 days ago), coincidentally starting around the time of my first PP period.

I'm back to pin cushion status while we figure out what's going on and whether I need to be medicated. The headache is bringing back nasty memories and while I wait for these tests to all be done, I have to be careful - I feel like my head's going to blow off or my chest explode - whichever is the weakest point...

Anyone else have this happen? I know HELLP and PIH predispose a person to hypertension later in life, but 4 months PP????
Lucky mother to healthy 1st born son Logan (HELLP at 40+1)
becj86

Re: BP high after first PP period

Postby trish » Thu Sep 01, 2011 09:01 am

by trish (2949 Posts), Thu Sep 01, 2011 09:01 am

I found out I had really high BP that was then diagnosed as CHT 18 months PP - just at a routine annual exam. I wasn't on meds for my 1st 2 pregnancies & BP returned to normal without issue. I was very surprised to find out my BP was high!

Now after my 3rd pregnancy, on BP meds the whole time, I did notice that when my period came back my BP was slightly higher a few days before it would start and then during it. Maybe 10 points higher than my normal range. I hear on on the headache bringing back memories. I think it was at least a year before I didn't panic over every headache. I hope you get some answers soon. Update us when you know more. (((HUGS)))
Trish: mama to my 3 PE Princesses:
Elizabeth 11/6/03 induced at 37 weeks for PE
Katie 4/13/05 induced at 38 weeks for PE
Allison 12/27/07 induced at 36 weeks for PE then PP PE & BP issues for over a year
trish
Forum Moderator

Re: BP high after first PP period

Postby becj86 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 06:59 pm

by becj86 (14 Posts), Wed Sep 07, 2011 06:59 pm

Well, I've done the blood tests and the renal ultrasound (checked my liver too). Started BP charts yesterday after I got a BP machine and they're high (140/90 range) but not as scary as it was when I was in ICU. Curiously, they are lower immediately after I breastfeed my son. The headache seems to be dulling a bit, not sure if I'm just getting used to it... In about 2 weeks, I'll be back at the doctor finding out the results and hopefully a plan to fix this!

This high BP is a little scary - my kidney condition predisposes me to brain aneurysms...

Ah well, I'm still alive, relatively healthy and have a beautiful baby boy to look after. That's a lot better than other possibilities post-HELLP - trying to look on the bright side :)
Lucky mother to healthy 1st born son Logan (HELLP at 40+1)
becj86

Return to After your baby is born .....