Lasix and breastfeeding

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Lasix and breastfeeding

Postby ormomofmany » Wed Apr 18, 2012 07:49 pm

I posted a while ago about my experience with probable pre-e. Well, my water broke at 34 weeks 6 days, and my bp was still high and I had drastic fluid retention. Many of the nurses said they had enver seen edema this bad. My OB finally put me on a week on Lasix, and my CNM, who had a little more sympathy, put me on another week at a higher dose.

Well, it definately helped, but 1. it was too late- the swelling had contributed to a pp c/s infection and now I have to wear a wound vac for 2-3 months while this stupid thing heals, nad 2. the swelling is coming back, and home health care has recorded some high readings. But the OB won't prescribe Lasix b/c it's not compatible with breastfeeding? Breastfeeding is not going great anyways due to baby being a preemie and her time in the NICU, but they already gave me two rounds, and my milk didn't even come in until 24 hours after the first dose. I'm going in tomorrow and I'm going to insist that either something be done or they do something to find out why I'm still swelling so bad. Is there any bp/edema med that IS compatible with breastfeeding? TIA!
ormomofmany

Re: Lasix and breastfeeding

Postby caryn » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:56 pm

I had Lasix and breastfed, and IIRC the issue isn't so much Lasix per se, but the idea that any drug that alters the way you're metabolizing fluid could compromise milk supply. I'm not an IBCLC though -- anyone else?
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to After your baby is born .....