induction and emergency c section at 38 weeks , worried about son's outcome

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
eleni
Site Admin

Re: induction and emergency c section at 38 weeks , worried about son's outcome

Postby eleni » Sun Oct 16, 2016 07:12 pm

Hi Shauni,

How's your sweet baby doing now? 38 weeks is really good, but some babies can still have issues, especially if their growth was affected by mom's preeclampsia.

Eleni
Eleni Z. Tsigas
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation

2x PE survivor; 29 week daughter died, 35 week IUGR son made it after 2 weeks of NICU fun; 3rd pregnancy PE-free resulted in strapping 8 pounder son, born at term.

shauni.lawson

Postby shauni.lawson » Sat Sep 17, 2016 08:48 am

I had a very similar birth. The doctors were worried that my belly hadn't grown any after 36 weeks so at 38 weeks I had another ultrasound and they found that my fluid levels were getting really low. They rushed me upstairs to labor and delivery to run more tests and monitor my blood pressure. It was so high and my protein levels above average they said I would have a C-section that day. Both my husband and I had never heard of preeclampsia so of course he was on his phone Googling up a storm as soon as they started running tests. It was scary watching him get more and more concerned. As soon as the results from the pee test came back he rushed home to get our over night bags. He was only gone 30 minutes and the doctors keep asking if they could start getting me ready without him. They made this so scary with how fast they tried to move me along. I had my ultrasound at 5pm and was a mommy by 830pm. It just went to fast and I was so scared of getting an epidural (I have back issues so a needle going in my back made me panic a tad) and so sad that my baby was coming so early. She is so tiny. She was 4lbs 13oz now that she is two weeks she is still tiny at 5lbs 4oz. The doctors say she is healthy but like you I'm so worried she will have lasting effects from all of this. She is quite except when she has gas (her 1am poops are killer) I just hope she will grow to be big and strong and healthy.

eleni
Site Admin

Postby eleni » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:07 pm

Hi Tiffany,
I'm so sorry nobody has responded and I know that the urgency of your feelings has probably passed by now. My two quick comments for now are 1) if you're still struggling with the emotional issues - which would be completely normal if you were - please seek out a therapist and/or medical doctor who can address PTSD and PPD in postpartum women. Ideally he or she would be aware of your difficult pregnancy. 2) a good pediatrician should be able to address concerns you have about your baby''s development. 38 weeks is a great thing with bad outcomes highly unlikely, at least related to the preeclampsia. Unless he suffered from growth restriction.

Keep us posted. We've recently launched an fabulous Patient Support Network which should be around here more often to help you and others with situations like this.

Be well, we're rooting for you!!

Eleni
Eleni Z. Tsigas
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation

2x PE survivor; 29 week daughter died, 35 week IUGR son made it after 2 weeks of NICU fun; 3rd pregnancy PE-free resulted in strapping 8 pounder son, born at term.

TiffanyFichtenbaum

induction and emergency c section at 38 weeks , worried about son's outcome

Postby TiffanyFichtenbaum » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:58 pm

to be honest I am extremely overwhelmed , preeclampsia hit me towards the end of my pregnancy unexpectedly
I was induced and in labor with my son for 56 hours before it was decided to have him by emergency c-section !
once he was born he didn't need a NICU and the neonatal nurses in the Nursery told me that he had a decent apgar score of 9 .
I had a tough pregnancy regardless , at one point I had to stop taking my prenatal vitamins because I was nauseated and throwing up and the vitamin couldn't stay down with the vitamin
I picked up with the vitamins again ..but it was also on and off ..I tried eating healthy as I could .
not stressing so much and doing all the things one does in a normal pregnancy . I am also afraid I might of hurt my baby when it was developing by not taking my prenatals as often as I should have
and I was on very light medicine for gastroenteritis and common colds , an heartburn h
as a first time mother I haven't been around newborns enough to know what their natural behaviour is like
I might be worrying about nothing at all , but googling symptoms on the net doesn't help matters much as very troubling stuff can and does pop up

he just seems a bit lethargic a week later, he is very quiet baby
he cries when he needs something and squirms around like a newborn
he is a slow latcher , and has a bit of stiff arms and legs which I assume is normal as he was in the womb not to long ago , I dont know if they will become normally stretching or not soon
with all this emotional stuff going on ,I am just so over it ....the anxiety is taking over me , and I cant enjoy my son the way i am supposed to and that hurts so much , instead of seeing a healthy baby I look at him
and see what could be wrong with him as a result of all of this , I just want to heal 110 percent and be able to fully enjoy my beautiful baby boy

Return to “After your baby is born .....”