Autism and Preeclampsia

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
Forum Moderator

Re: Autism and Preeclampsia

Postby alviarin » Fri Jun 03, 2016 03:53 pm

Thanks for sharing, this is not something I have run across before.

I have seen research relating to maternal thyroid problems and autism, and even even subclinical hypothryoidism has been found to increase the risk of preeclampsia.

I have one kiddo with ADHD, and a good friend whose children are on the spectrum (but no history of pre-e). Both my mother-in-law and grandmother have had pre-e too.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

Autism and Preeclampsia

Postby Laura-Moakley-facebook » Tue May 31, 2016 00:13 am

I am just curious if any other parents have a in their son/ daughter with Autism after having preeclampsia?

My son was just diagnosed with mild Autism in March of this year after turning 2. During my second pregnancy ( my first was severe preeclampsia and HELPP with my daughter) with this pregnancy I was put on daily injections of lovenox, put on bed rest at 6 months and made it to 39 weeks.

I have a friend on Long Island also who tried again ( went on to her second pregnancy after preeclampsia) her son also was just diagnosed with mild autism. I just find the coincidence to just be outstanding.

With Autism more prevalent in the media I was doing more research and found this research article regarding how preeclampsia may affect abnormal neurodevelopment.

Return to “After your baby is born .....”