Speech and physical therapy?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
mamc2003

Re : Speech and physical therapy?

Postby mamc2003 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 03:18 pm

Thank you, thank you to everyone on here. I have really just worked myself into a tizzy over this. I can tell, and so can others, that Avery is a little "different". I don't know if this is because she isn't like Audrey or if she isn't like other children. First off, she is very quiet. She doesn't babble a lot, only uses sounds or points when she wants something. She wants nothing to do with people she doesn't know. It takes her a long time to warm up to someone. She is content to play by herself and hates(and I mean screams) when other children come around her. She sleeps 13-14 hours at night, she doesn't get up until 11-12 o'clock. But, when she's happy, she is the happiest baby you've ever seen. She started really smiling by 7 weeks and was laughing by 10 weeks and hasn't stopped yet. So, this could just be her personality, I don't know. Here is the website that I found that says that about cerebral palsy http://www.vh.org/pediatric/patient/ped ... index.html

Maybe I just read it wrong, though. You know, now that I've reread it, I think I did read it wrong. I haven't heard from therapy yet, but I will let you know when I do.

Thanks again everyone for giving me such great info.

Mandy
Mom to:
Audrey (born 35 wks pre-e) 5 lbs 4 oz; Now three years old
Avery (born 35 wks pre-e) 5 lb 12 oz; Now over a year

sarab
Site Admin

Postby sarab » Thu Mar 17, 2005 06:45 am

It sounds like you have gotten some good advice already. I don't have any experience with speech delays, but I wanted to talk a bit about PT. Maggie was considered "severely delayed" with her gross motor skills. She rolled over late, didn't crawl until 14 months (11 adjusted), and just started walking in the past 3 weeks (she's currently 21 months). We have been in physical therapy since she was 13 months.

Like Jennifer said, they will probably do an overall evaluation and go from there. Ours revealed that Maggie had low muscle tone in her pelvis and legs, which I guess can be common in preemies. Having her in PT has been wonderful for us! As far as she's concerned, it's just "play time". She LOVES her therapist (she has cool new toys!), and has done really well.

Like SueAnn said, it certainly can't hurt.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Sara, 24
Local Coordinator, Utah
Moderator, "After Your Baby is Born"

DH, Scott, 26
Maggie, 6/9/03, 29 weeks severe pe
Logan, 1/19/05, 32 weeks severe pe/partial HELLP

http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/maggielylas/

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:14 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that therapy can't hurt and it will probably help. It may even help you better understand how she develops, or what you can do to encourage her.

SueAnn
dh Kwame
ds Ezekiel 1/2/02 (34wks due to pre-e)
dd Naomi 6/25/04 (38 1/2 wks PIH)

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Wed Mar 16, 2005 05:40 pm

It is entirely incorrect to say that any developmental delay is atributed to cerabal palsey )or is cerebal palsey) thats sort of similiar to saying every child with a speech delay is autistic.

Developmental delays are usually a part of the diagnosis of many differnet ocnditions, including CP, Autism, etc.. Ther eare also other diagnosis factors that must be present for the diagnosis/

Its been awhile since I looked at them, but I do beleive studies have shown that siblings speaking for children does not impede the younger child's speech development. WHile it may affect the amount of talking you here out of the child, the child should still go through the same developmental speech stages.

She is still within normal range to start walking (normal is from 9-18 months) and still sounds iwthin normal range for speech. Is she babbling? Is she making specific sounds for certain objects yet? Words for children are more then just the ones we can easily identify as actually words, but also include any sounds that the child uses to represent a certain object or idea (so if she calls you Boo every time thats HER word for Mom KWIM). Many times both my kids had more words then we thought they did when we took the time to decipher what htey were saying becuase the words didn't sound right to us.

HTH's

Erin

Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go

kylesmom

Postby kylesmom » Wed Mar 16, 2005 05:28 pm

Hi Mandy- I am so sorry you are dealing with the confusion of developmental delay. I am a speech therapist with an early intervention program so I can speak a little bit about your concerns. First, each child develops in her own timeframe. She was a little premature, so be sure to adjust her age accordingly. If she is slower to progress in one or more areas of general development, they use the term 'developmental delay' which in no way signifies cerebral palsy. From what I understand (and I am not a doctor) they take into account other factors in addition to developmental delay like abnormal muscle tone, abnormal movements, abnormal reflexes and persistent infantile reflexes before diagnosing CP.

Also, it seems that many doctors often make referrals just to be on the safe side (which is why I suspect there is a waiting list!) If your gut tells you its related to Audrey's behavior, then you are probably right. It certainly doesn't hurt to have an evaluation done. They will be looking for overall development: thinking skills, following simple directions, babbling, first words, pointing, smiling, eating and sleeping habits, motor skills, etc. Its mostly an interview with you. Then they "score" it and tell you where she falls among other children in her age range and whether she qualifies for services.

I hope that helps. [:)] Just so you know, our son is 19 months and has always been a few weeks or a month behind 'typical' development. The important thing is that he is progressing the way he should. He only has a few words, but he uses lots of sign.

You can email me if you have any more questions. Good luck!

Jennifer 33
Kyle born 8-13-03 @ 38 weeks (PE and Class I HELLP)
Connecticut Coordinator

matts_mom

Postby matts_mom » Wed Mar 16, 2005 04:12 pm

if it's any help here is something from my childhood. my sister and i are two years and one month apart with me being the older child. my sister didn't talk until i started going to playschool, when she was 3. i was such a dominant child that i spoke for her on all matters including "Michelle needs cookies and milk" and "Michelle wants to go outside". Not sure about how having an older dominant sibling affects the progress of a younger sibling but i certainly held my sister's tongue back.

it's tough to keep perspective when you feel like your child is behind the "normal" for their age. i was really anxious when at 6 months, Matthew wasn't even trying to roll over. he would just lay around and was quite content to do so. one day it just clicked that he could and in a matter of 4 months he was walking. he is 13 months old and only says mama, dada, byebye and baby. my dh still tells me that Matthew will progress in his own time and not before. i think most babies are like that, all in their own time.

andrea(35)
dh reg(52)
matthew-born Feb 6, 2004, at 34 weeks due to hellp syndrome (4lbs 10 ounces)

sweetiesuzy

Postby sweetiesuzy » Wed Mar 16, 2005 03:45 pm

Mandy,

First of all I want to say that I am sorry you are having issues with your baby. I have had ongoing speech issues with Sam and he is 23 months old. He was delayed in many physical ways too - he rolled later, sat later, crawled and walked later too. I do not think he even said anything but dada at 15 months. He says very little even now. Just this past Friday he started saying Hello Baby. This is the first time he has ever put two words together. Sometimes he will say a word and then never say it again. It is hard. All of his therapists feel he is just delayed. He shows no lag in cognitive or motor skills at this point, just poor tone in some areas. I would think that the statement that any delay is cerebral palsey is a dangerous one. I think you are doing the right things by getting her evaluated. It is hard to see our children go through this type of process. But take it as it comes and it will all work out. We are here for you! There are lots of others that can help you out as they have children with similar needs.

Huge hugs,
Suzanna

------------------------
Aaryngston ~ 3/25/95
Chloe Rose ~ 10/26/01 Stillbirth
Samuel Isaac ~ 12/30/02
Laura Elise ~ 7/19/04

"Friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have
trouble remembering how to fly"
-Marion Beatty

mamc2003

Speech and physical therapy?

Postby mamc2003 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 01:59 pm

I was hoping some of you can help me understand what is going on with Avery. We had her 15 month well baby visit yesterday. We have been watching her development since she was 6 months old. She was a little late rolling over and sitting, but then started crawling on time. She is getting close to walking, but isn't quite there yet. Will probably be walking, hopefully, in a month or so from the way things look. She also only can say 2 words-- dada and dat (that). We see a nurse for well baby visits and when it was over, she said she was going to talk to the dr about getting a referral for speech therapy. She comes back with a referral for speech and physical therapy. I called yesterday and they said it would be 2 weeks to a month before they can get her in b/c of the waiting list.

Personally, and I have told the dr this, the reason I think Avery is not talking is b/c she doesn't want to draw attention to herself. Audrey is a very high needs, hyperactive child and when she realizes Avery is playing, Audrey runs over there and starts messing with her and makes her cry. That's why I don't think Avery is really talking yet, but who knows.

So, last night I got on the internet and started looking things up. A friend who is a nurse said I might want to check out cerebral palsy. One of the websites said any developmental delay is cerebral palsy. Is that true?

I called the dr's office today and asked them if they thought it was something more than lagging or something more in depth. The nurse said that is why they are sending Avery to therapy. The therapists will evaluate her and let the dr's know what they think is going on. Can someone help me understand what is going on. What all will they be looking for? Does anyone have any good advice or some words of wisdom for a worried mom? TIA

Mandy
Mom to:
Audrey (born 35 wks pre-e) 5 lbs 4 oz; Now three years old
Avery (born 35 wks pre-e) 5 lb 12 oz; Now over a year

Return to “After your baby is born .....”