Baby only sleeps in carseat....

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
celticepona

Re : Baby only sleeps in carseat....

Postby celticepona » Sun May 01, 2005 06:32 pm

Faith...I had to chuckle at your last post....not at your horrible experience but because I can relate so well and feel your pain. Emmy isn't addicted to a carseat but addicted to sleeping with us, so I can relate to your attempts to cold turkey with the crib thing with your eyeballs hanging out of your head. Anyway, hang in there and let us know how it goes. (emmy still sleeps with us needless to say.) :)

DD Emily born 4-01-04 at 37 weeks due to severe PE/Eclampsia. Currently Hypertensive and still on medication.
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/e/emilyfionaspage/

faith

Postby faith » Fri Apr 29, 2005 08:05 am

Update...Tuesday night and Wed. night were absolutely HORRIBLE. I decided to just do it and try to break him cold turkey...ugh...he cried, I cried, my husband begged me to just put him back in the carseat so HE could get some sleep...complete nightmare...I never knew my little five month old guy could go that long w/o sleep! I knew it wasn't going to be easy and I just HAD to do it...so after two nights of me standing over his crib, rubbing his back, with my eyeballs hanging out of my head, it finally paid off. Last night he spend the entire night in his crib (I think he was just plain exhausted from not sleeping the two previous nights) He got up once, but I was able to put him back down within ten min's. I afraid to get my hopes, but hopefully this is it and he'll continue to do well in the crib[:)] Only time will tell!

kathleen

meljoi

Postby meljoi » Fri Apr 29, 2005 05:48 am

Peyton was a gas bubble!
He slept in his carseat until he was 6 months.
We asked our Dr. and he said it was fine and that there
would be no effects from it.
He's 4 and a half now and has no problems!
Friends have had similar problems and have done the same....
I say keep him where he'll sleep....sleep is such a rare commodity with a new one!!
I wish Lucy would sleep in her carseat, she only wants to sleep in my arms!
Maybe the hammock would work for that!!
I will have permanent jelly arm!!!

Melissa Joi 32
DH Jeremy 43
mama to Peyton John 12/04/00 (severe pre-e @ 38wks)
Lucy Isabelle born 11/16/04-normal, healthy pregnancy!
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/l/lucyisabelle/

maxs mom

Postby maxs mom » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:10 pm

Kathleen,
It's funny you say this, Ellie hates her carseat, she doesn't like sleeping in it.

My advice though (different from others), you really need to break him of this habit, Why you might ask? Because you are in a world of hurt the longer you wait. Yes, it is hard to hear the baby cry, BUT, the longer you wait, the longer it will take to get him used to the new way. Read, "the happiest baby on the block" The first couple of chapters is nonsense to me, but following the 5 S's has helped a friend of mine that had a similar situation calm her baby and get her to sleep, with minimal crying.

Oh, one other thing, check for reflux! Alot of babies prefer their car seat because it keeps them upright and less likely to reflux, the crying from being put down in the bed could be because there is reflux and there isn't any other signs but that.

Kara (34)
DH, John (36)
Max, 1/20/03, 25 wks, 1lb. 3ozs. (IUGR), severe PE
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/mightymax/

Brielle, 3/22/05, 36 wks, 5lbs. 3ozs., PE Free!
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/brielle/

ekc

Postby ekc » Thu Apr 28, 2005 05:31 pm

Sorry! I forgot to mention how I got my son to the crib...

He was just ready to spread out by 9 mos. so I didn't really have to fight him on it. Since a carseat it pretty much a nice secure little place like a swing, I would think that would be the case with your son also. Plus, they can roll over at that point and I know a lot of babies prefer to roll onto their bellies at that point. The crib was just a natural progression for my son. Thank goodness!

Erinn (26)

Chase ~ 9/28/03, 33.5 wks, 3.5#, severe pre-e

elevated lipoprotein A

ekc

Postby ekc » Thu Apr 28, 2005 05:29 pm

If your baby likes to sleep in his carseat I have never heard anything wrong with that. As long as the baby isn't getting out and walking around in the middle of the night what does it matter? Just be happy that your baby will sleep 9 hours in a row!!! Who cares where it is. I have never heard about it giving babies back problems?

My son slept in his swing (and would NOT sleep anywhere else) for about the first 9 months of his life! I did finally have to wean him to the crib because he was getting to big and wiggly for it. I would be changing batteries in the middle of the night. It was quite hilarious. That swing was a godsend! My theory is you have to do what you have to do to get some sleep!

Good luck!

Erinn (26)

Chase ~ 9/28/03, 33.5 wks, 3.5#, severe pre-e

elevated lipoprotein A

cara

Postby cara » Wed Apr 27, 2005 07:28 am

Grant slept in his carseat for a good while too. We did the weaning thing, like Mada. Put the carrier in the bed then transfer. We also used a wedge with the positioners in his bed. Even now, we put a pillow under one side of his mattress and he sleeps on an incline. He's 13 months now and the reflux has shown no sign of giving up so he feels a lot better sleeping on the incline.

Cara L. Stevens
DS - Grant 3/28/04
33 weeks PIH/Pre-e
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/boogerbrow/

denise

Postby denise » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:36 am

My girlfriends daughter would only sleep in her carseat when she was litte too (reflux). She eventually was able to get into her crib after her reflux went away at 10 months (lucky her ;) ). For my DD, we bought a crib wedge for her to sleep on to keep her upright for her reflux. It worked for us.

I really like the sound of that hammock!!

-------
Denise (29) Co-coordinator for WI
Jason (32)
Ariana (23 months)5/3/03-just shy of 35 weeks: Class 1 HELLP
http://hometown.aol.com/oneyodafan/DeniseHomePage.htm

faith

Postby faith » Tue Apr 26, 2005 09:17 am

Thanks for the great advice! I'm going to check out that baby hammock...wish me luck :)

kathleen

julie f

Postby julie f » Tue Apr 26, 2005 08:01 am

Kathleen,

During the day, Jack will only sleep in his swing or carseat... No idea why it's different at night but, he'll go about 4 hours at a time in his crib at night. In his crib though, he actually sleeps on a changing table pad, I think it's a Simmons one. Anyway, he used to love snuggling on his changing pad so, we tried putting it in the crib and for some reason, he really likes it. We also put a blanket under one side so he's kind of up on an little incline.

I saw this hammock/swing advertised in a magazine the other day and I just ordered it, I'm hoping that maybe it'll help extend his naps a bit during the day (he only sleeps in 20-30 min blocks during the day unless he's on the road...) I found it at Baby Depot for $24.99, maybe it will help? http://www.babyage.com/product_details. ... ctid=14767 They're sending it from another store so, once I get it, I'll let you know how it goes...

Julie (28)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Jackson Charles 01/24/05, 36wks 6dys - NO PE!!

Southern California Coordinator

Return to “After your baby is born .....”