Janie update

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
5thtymachrm

Re : Janie update

Postby 5thtymachrm » Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:33 am

Michelle..
I was just reading on your post about thinking your little one was so big and I can totally relate[:)] Indy was so tiny for the first few weeks but now she looks so chubby to me at 10lbs, but I get comments all the time about how tiny she is, and "was she just born?". I didn't realise how tiny she looked until our pictures came out from her 2 month sitting and I am holding her in my hands, she looks pretty tiny in that picture, seems strange.

We've been mixing in cereal in her formula since about 5 weeks i think because of the reflux. I was afraid to tell the ped. because of all the warnings against it. He actually agreed with me and thought it was a great idea and i was a good mommy for figuring it out..lol. I like her ped. he's really great[:D]

Elizabeth
11/20/03 Indigo E. (born with no PE @ 37 weeks, 5lbs 13oz) (Pg Issues:hypertension(atenolol),hyperemesis, hypothyroidism, cancer remission, asthma, 8cm blood clot @3wks)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/i/indigopage/
11/17/95 m/c @14wks
1/97 m/c @3wks
2/98 m/c @5wks
8/02 m/c @3wks

paljane8

Postby paljane8 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 06:06 pm

So here is the latest. We went for a weight check yesterday and no change-she is flat line in weight and height but, she had a little increase in head. So for the last, I guess 6 weeks or so, she has only gained 4oz and 5/8th of an inch. They like to see them gain a 1/2 lb and 1 inch in the course of a month. He also checked her muscle tone and really wants to see her further along. So, he is sending us to Children's to visit the neuro-devolpment team. I would be really surprised if anything abnormal showed up. Janie was tested at 8 wks by a PT and she did not think that Janie's low tone was neurological. I was really hoping the oil, protein and extra calories would bulk her up a bit but, no such luck. DH and I decided to give her formula during the day and I will bf morning and night. I guess we are weening [:(]. I haven't heard when the appt is yet, the dr. office is setting it up but, they said within 2 weeks. I'll keep you updated. I think Janie looks good-just small. Norlisa and Anne have seen her. Don't you think she looks good?

Nancy Eastwood
Moderator/WA State Co-Coordinator

ds-8yrs, dd-7yrs
Scott-4yrs (PE)
Janie-5/12/03 (PIH, oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/

momathelete

Postby momathelete » Sat Jan 17, 2004 08:43 pm

Nancy,

Cole was on Progestimil, which has a ton of oil in it, but he had such bad bowel problems so he was on that. When he was born,his bowels would not push out anything and his intestines would expand with air , so he always had a suppository in him. I guess for the first 6 months, we had to help him have a bowel movement. Anyway, the oil helped it to come out. He was on Malt Supprex also which was supposed to help him move it out. Anyway, the calories on both of them helped him bulk up. He also had tons of cereal in his bottle at the start because of severe reflux. He ended up on a medication that was later taken off of the market for killing babies, but I will tell you that it was the only thing that kept the food in him. Do you put cereal in Janie's bottle? They say not to, but what do they know? It worked for all of my kids. Helps them sleep better and it does fatten them up!

Although, if you look at my two skinny minnies you would wonder what happened later on! I CANNOT get Lainey to eat a decent meal,maybe once a week!!! SHe is pretty petite, although she is very tall. Cole is also pretty thin, although he eats 3 meals a day. As for Ella, I finally have a hunk o' chunk! Well, compared to the other two. We think she is huge and everyone else thinks she is small. I guess it is all in what you are used to. Your kids are all petite, so Janie wouldn't be any different.
Hang in there honey, I bet she starts to pick up, especially with the oil. How are you putting it in her diet?

Michelle
mom to Cole Thomas -former 28.5 weeker (3-5-99, 3 lbs)due to HELLP and Madelaine Grace "Lainey" -former 29.5 (10-11-01, 3lbs 4oz)weeker due to Pre-E and had PIH with Elisabeth Rose (Ella) -37 weeker,born June 30th 2003 weighing 5 lbs 12 oz and beautiful.

paljane8

Postby paljane8 » Sat Jan 17, 2004 09:53 am

Michelle,

Did you have to bulk up any of your other kids?

Nancy-35
dh-34
ds-8yrs
dd-7yrs
Scott-born 05-14-99 @38 weeks-PE
Janie-born 05-12-03 @37 weeks-PIH, small for gestational age (oligo and low blood flow)

momathelete

Postby momathelete » Fri Jan 16, 2004 09:44 pm

Wake up to feed....yuck! I agree with you about not doing it! The oil should help. Good luck sweetie; hang in there!!!!

Michelle
mom to Cole Thomas -former 28.5 weeker (3-5-99, 3 lbs)due to HELLP and Madelaine Grace "Lainey" -former 29.5 (10-11-01, 3lbs 4oz)weeker due to Pre-E and had PIH with Elisabeth Rose (Ella) -37 weeker,born June 30th 2003 weighing 5 lbs 12 oz and beautiful.

mada

Postby mada » Thu Jan 15, 2004 09:50 am

Nancy,
I am sorry about Janie's weight. I hope everything is fine too. You know, we spend are whole pregnancy being worried and then you come to find out that the pregnancy was perhaps easier than all this. HAs her appetite changed? I know she is a peanut, but I bet the oil in the food and protien will help. And I don't blame you for not waking up for a feeding!! Ughh!!

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.

paljane8

Postby paljane8 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 08:00 am

Thanks, Laura. I usually don't worry too much about my light weights. Janie dropped so significantly-I can't help it. Hopefully, it is nothing. It's not like DH and I haven't done this before!

Nancy-35
dh-34
ds-8yrs
dd-7yrs
Janie-born 05-12-03 @37 weeks-PIH, small for gestational age (oligo and low blood flow)

laura

Postby laura » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:51 pm

Hang in there- it's just one bad appointment, and I'll bet she'll be right back on track! It's always like that, though, isn't it? I think fate plans these things for us, to keep us on our toes. (I don't know about you, but my toes are getting pretty frickin' tired[xx(])

Keeping my fingers crossed that she gains lots and lots in the next few weeks!

Laura-28
DH Jack-31
Allicia 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/

paljane8

Postby paljane8 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:22 pm

We had Janie's weight check today. ARRRGGGHH! She dropped below the chart and she plataued in the 3 (weight, length and head). I never really worried about her until now. The very next thing they want to know is her development which is behind and always has been. So we go back in 3 wks for another check. Like we don't see this guy enough already! In the mean time we get to boost her calories. She gets oil in her baby food and lots of protein. They wanted me to wake her in the night to give her an extra feeding. I about blew a gasket! I just barely got her sleeping through the night! So, needless to say, I am NOT waking her!

Anyway, there you have it. If its not one thing it is another.

Nancy-35
dh-34
ds-8yrs
dd-7yrs

momathelete

Postby momathelete » Wed Jan 07, 2004 07:23 pm

Wow, I just love to see everyone's pictures. /YOur babies are all so adorable!!! Someday I will get around to mine......

[:o)]

Michelle

Return to “After your baby is born .....”