For those that take their kids to therapy

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
deerhart

Re : For those that take their kids to therapy

Postby deerhart » Tue Jun 21, 2005 09:05 am

ohhh one more thing I forgot to mention. Our OT and ST did do some joint sessions with Alex especially in dealing with some ST stuff he absoultely hated. Not only did it help our time (as having people in your house 4 days a week can get crazy) but also since we had weekend sessions we could then go away for the weekened to visit family. The OT would run her normal session with the ST doing speech stuff in conjunction with the OT sessions. it really takes a little bit of planning between the 2 but can be done and it might free you up a bit to handle the your other daughter.

Erin

Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (5)and Mason (2 1/2)
Law Student - finally year!

jjbeck

Postby jjbeck » Mon Jun 20, 2005 02:31 pm

Hi Mandy. Theratogs is a neuromotor strapping system. Here is a link : http://www.theratogs.com/
It helps.
We are also doing some kinesio taping which has been extremely helpful.: http://www.kinesiotaping.com/
They both help with support and help to decrease tone.
As far as the vision therapy. I am just doing a bit of it where she is so young. Mostly some simple eye excersizes and rearranging things around on a reg basis. Also encouraging crawling. The recip movement is supposed to help w/ vision. The crawling has been a bit hard for her where she has the hemiparesis but she is doing better.
We are doing the vision therapy for vision, yes, but it is also being done for other dev problems, though I have heard that it is conterversial. It is interesting that we are doing this now. Years ago I had a psych teacher that was studying this and it's effect on behavioral problems in children. I never would have thought it is being used the way it is today.

Jen 33
DH Bob 36
DD Ava 4/04

http://jbeck3.photosite.com/

mamc2003

Postby mamc2003 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 02:09 pm

Thanks everyone for your advice. It makes me feel so much better knowing others are going through this too. Stephanie, that would be a great idea, except Avery is terrified of other children. She screams when others come around, so it is definitely better when she's by herself. I do keep Audrey home for the in-home therapy and sometimes poor Avery gets stuck by herself b/c the therapist is playing with Audrey. Thanks for the tip though. Maybe once she gets a little older we can have them together.

Jen, is vision therapy helping with her sight or is it some sort of other therapy? What is theratogs?(I read your other post and now know that vision therapy is just that...therapy for vision. I hope the therapy helps.)

I'm getting really nervous now. We go to New Orleans tomorrow for the neuro appt and I'm really worried there's something wrong with her. I hope she's just a little dev delayed, but there's always a chance that it could be something else, ya know. Well, wish us luck. I'll update when we get back.

Mandy
Mom to:
Audrey (born 35 wks pre-e) 5 lbs 4 oz; Now three years old
Avery (born 35 wks pre-e) 5 lb 12 oz; Now over a year

tahoe4

Postby tahoe4 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 01:43 pm

We just got done with speech and occupational therapy with our 2-year old. It was a bit much to handle, but thankfully they were both able to come to our house. Also, every other week they would go to her daycare to give her therapy there.

You should ask your therapists if they would mind if your other child could participate in the sessions. Our OT said when she did the sessions at my daughter's daycare, it was very helpful to have the other children there. She would demonstrate an activity for my daughter to do, then another kid would do the activity and then it was my daughter's turn. It showed my daughter exactly what to do and she was much more willing to participate in the therapy when other kids were involved.

Her speech therapist also did some therapy at her daycare. She preferred to have my daughter in another room away from the other kids, because she found that she got more out of her when other kids weren't there talking for her. She would take her out on the playground, too which was another way to get her to talk.

Maybe you could suggest the therapists try it out with both of your children one time to see how your child responds. You may be pleasantly surprised![:)]

Stephanie

Casey - DD born 12/25/02 at 6 weeks premature due to eclampsia
Bella - DD born 6/4/04 at 38 weeks. No complications from pre-eclampsia at all!

jjbeck

Postby jjbeck » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:45 am

I wish I had some good advice for you... but I am right there w/ you w/ the same problems. Ava gets therapy 4 times a week. It is hard sometimes trying to keep up w/ the therapy and all of her other doc appts. We are also doing a bit of vision therapy, theratogs and other therapies here at home.
It does get a bit overwhelming trying to keep up. I keep telling myself I need to put myself on a behavior program and structure my day better[:D]

Jen 33
DH Bob 36
DD Ava 4/04

http://jbeck3.photosite.com/

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Thu Jun 16, 2005 07:42 am

Yup, we had therapy in our home 4 days a week for 5 months, then Alex went into the preschool setting for therapy 3 hours a week for 5 months, then he went to preschool 3 days a week until this august when he went 4 days a week. The school provided transportation to and from home/daycare while he was in preschool.

We also had a difference in that we participated in the therapy as little as possible because when we did it made Alex's behavior horrid and he would refuse to listen to the teacher (he has a heiarchy of leadership and mommy ranked over teacher so he would only do it if I told him to not if the teacher did, when parents were out of the room then teacher was in charge). We didn't have much problesm with little brother in the way because Mason wasn't even one yet, but now we are starting to have issues because Mason wants to go to school and ride the bus and doesn't get to.

Erin

Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (5)and Mason (2 1/2)
Law Student - finally year!

sweetiesuzy

Postby sweetiesuzy » Wed Jun 15, 2005 04:22 pm

I am in the same boat with the SLP and OT being able to come to our home. Sam is seen three times or more a week so it can seem overwhelming at times with trying to scheldule other things - but I know it is for the best. Hang in there!

Hugs,
Suz

------------------------
Aaryngston ~ 3/25/95
Chloe Rose ~ 10/26/01 Stillbirth
Samuel Isaac ~ 12/30/02
Laura Elise ~ 7/19/04

"Friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have
trouble remembering how to fly"
-Marion Beatty

alexp

Postby alexp » Wed Jun 15, 2005 03:10 pm

No real advice, only sympathy...my girls did EI (OT and special instruction) at home two days a week. Parker was often a total terror during those times...I guess it is hard on them seeing younger sibs get so much attentnion [:(].

The worst is when the therapist expects you to participate...and yeah, you want to do everything that you can, but they also want you to keep the other kid out of their hair. It can be nearly impossible!

What helped, a little...for at home I always tried to have videos saved for him to watch. Also special toys that only come out during therapy helped - that would be helpful both at home and for outside therapy.

Have you talked to either of the therpaists? They might be able to give you some input, helpout with the situation a little...or at the very least they would know that you are concerned and are doing the best you can with a tough situation.

Our OT was wonderful for this - she actually had a daughter Parker's age who had autism and a son the girls' age who had some gross motor delays, and they were both receiving multiple services, in and out of the home...so she really knew how it was!

She brought a few toys/equipment with her everytime for Parker to use, and would take a few minutes here and there to "include" him...it was so nice and really helped.

mamc2003

For those that take their kids to therapy

Postby mamc2003 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 02:47 pm

How do you keep up with everything? Avery does in home Early Intervention every Friday morning. Then just this week we had her speech evaluated. She is 18mo and is at a 13mo level for expressive language and 15mo level for receptive language. So now, we are going to speech therapy twice a week.

It's not so hard, except trying to get two kids up and dressed in the morning, then I don't really have anywhere for Audrey to go. I hate to send her to daycare twice a week and I think she would really be in the way at the speech therapy. I took her to my parent's business today and they had a terrible time trying to work and keep her out of everything. She stays home for EI, but I'm sure the lady is tired of Audrey getting in the way there too. Next Tuesday is Avery's nuerology appt in New Orleans, so we plan on taking both the kids and letting them go to the zoo and aquairium.

Sorry just had to vent. Even though I know it's for the best, and of course I only want the best, it feels like my entire summer will be devoted to getting Avery the help she needs.

On a better note, though, the speech therapist feels like Avery is very smart and knows what she's supposed to know, but just doesn't know how to get it out. So, that makes me feel better.[:D]

Any tips from BTDT moms?

Mandy
Mom to:
Audrey (born 35 wks pre-e) 5 lbs 4 oz; Now three years old
Avery (born 35 wks pre-e) 5 lb 12 oz; Now over a year

Return to “After your baby is born .....”