Can Antidepressants cure Preeclampsia?

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.
missgamecock

Re : Can Antidepressants cure Preeclampsia?

Postby missgamecock » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:17 am

Cool. My OB just put me on Zoloft about 6 weeks ago for PPD. I was going to ask him about next time starting me on it around 30 weeks to head off PPD. 30 weeks because I don't get to that nice 36 week appt. Figure plan ahead and if I get past that great. Would like to hear more about this.

crdv1976

Postby crdv1976 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 09:18 am

quote:Originally posted by dorio22

I was on Zoloft through both pregnancies and got PE with both. It would be nice if they could find something to reduce the risk.

I was and am on zoloft for anxiety... I was taken off of it by my doc.. I am so sorry and I am very intrigued by this ... Do they help or don't they???

crdv1976

Postby crdv1976 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 09:13 am

I suffer from an anxiety disorder and I was on antidepressants prior to my pregnancy... Maybe there is a connnection, I don't know... My anxiety got worse...Thanks to my flunky of a doctor!!!!! However, even though you feel happy you may still have anxiety or underlying issues... I think this maybe a finding... However, more research would be nice...

dorio22

Postby dorio22 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:03 pm

I was on Zoloft through both pregnancies and got PE with both. It would be nice if they could find something to reduce the risk.

sweetiesuzy

Postby sweetiesuzy » Fri Jul 08, 2005 09:57 pm

Actually I think the SSRI group of drugs are safe. I know they are safe during breastfeeding. These are all things for informational purposes and you should always discuss your plan of care with your provider.

I do find this bit of research very interesting though...

Hugs,
Suz

princess purr

Postby princess purr » Fri Jul 08, 2005 09:12 pm

I don't know, I was pretty darn happy when I was pregnant, alittle stressed about work, but HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!! And don't most anti depresant make it hard to get pregnant/can cause birth defects?

daniela

Can Antidepressants cure Preeclampsia?

Postby daniela » Fri Jul 08, 2005 08:31 pm

If anybody would like further information to this article,please don't hesitate to email me at: dpittman@fas.harvard.edu. I am writing my thesis on this subject and it is amazing how just by the use of SSRI'S during pregnancy might be able to stop this aweful disease. Regards,Daniela

Can SSRIs reduce the risk of preeclampsia in pregnant, depressed patients?

Shandara Durkee Dawes, 1, ,

Department of Psychiatry, Los Angeles Neuropsychiatric Institute, University of California, 760 Westwood Plaza, Room C8-846, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA

Received 30 May 2003; accepted 17 October 2003. Available online 25 September 2004.

Summary
Preeclampsia causes substantial morbidity and mortality. A significant part of the etiology of preeclampsia involves endothelial damage and platelet activation and in this way can be conceived as an illness with a pathophysiology similar to coronary artery disease. Depression is an independent risk factor for the progression of cardiovascular disease [Am Heart J 140 (2000) S57] and there is evidence to suggest that it may be a risk factor for preeclampsia as well. SSRIs have been shown to reduce the progression of coronary artery disease, independent of improvement in mood. SSRIs may also reduce risk factors for preeclampsia in addition to treating depression in pregnancy. This is an important area for further research.

Return to “Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News”