Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Quote in Jan '04 HOPE Health Letter...

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

Quote in Jan '04 HOPE Health Letter...

Postby angelical » Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:30 am

"Women who are physically active during the year before pregnancy and during early pregnancy may be less likely to develop potentially dangerous high blood pressure (preeclampsia)during their pregnancies." Source: Hypertension, Vol. 41, Pg. 1273

I was skimming through this newsletter just now, at work, and thought I was seeing things. I thought, "nah, I didn't see 'preeclampsia' on this page!" But there it was!

Sharel

------------------------
Sharel & Kevin
Aaron - 28 weeker
Born 5/2/02 due to preeclampsia & HELLP

Our miracle boy is doing great!!
angelical

Re : Quote in Jan '04 HOPE Health Letter...

Postby mariajose » Tue Dec 30, 2003 01:54 pm

HI!
I read your quote, and wanted to say that I practiced dance and ballet the year before I got pregnant plus the first weeks, so it doesn't really explain anything.

I also ate really healthy foods., [V]
do you agree with this ?

mj
mariajose

Postby angelical » Tue Dec 30, 2003 02:52 pm

With this stupid disease, I'm not sure what to believe. But it sure would ease my mind to know that lack of exercise didn't doom me to this! I sure didn't ballet dance before getting pregnant! [B)]

I didn't mean to imply that I agree with the statement... I am just glad to see pree hit the news now and then.

Sharel :)

------------------------
Sharel & Kevin
Aaron - 28 weeker

angelical

Postby catherine » Tue Dec 30, 2003 03:21 pm

Mariajose, who the heck knows? I danced twice a week, ballet also, up to 28 weeks with my preeclampsia pregnancy and up to 33 weeks with the subsequent one. I could see no difference. I do think that being in good shape and eating well does help... with being pregnant![;)]

Seriously, I think that fact that I was in good physical shape helped my body cope with the serious medical crisis and eased my recovery.

Maybe ballet is the problem [:o), Darcey Bussell of the Royal Ballet had preeclampsia and HELLP with her first pregnancy. My mother read about it at the hair salon about two weeks after I got sick. She said she nearly passed out with shock under the dryer reading about the syndrome having never heard about such a thing until I nearly died. She wanted to take the article but they wouldn't let her keep it!!!

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Lucy (2)Preeclampsia & HELLP
Chloe (7/2/03)
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby taras mom » Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:10 pm

I was about to leave for the gym when my OB called to tell me to go to the hospital.[:(] I'm convinced exercise helped me bounce back faster, but it's no panacea. You're off the hook, Sharel.[;)]

Carol (38)
DH Bill (40)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Postby angelical » Wed Dec 31, 2003 05:38 am

WHEW![;)][:I]

------------------------
Sharel & Kevin
Aaron - 28 weeker

angelical

Postby amyk » Wed Dec 31, 2003 06:23 am

Obviously they didn't ask any of us about this. I did alot of running and even a triathlon shortly before I became pregnant. So at least we now know that there are other things besides ballet that cause preeclampsia!

Amy

Chloe (8/6/01) 35 weeks, p/e, hellp
Tristan (9/3/03), 32 weeks, p/e and hellp AGAIN
amyk

Postby ileana » Wed Dec 31, 2003 07:03 am

Yeah, and I read a study a while ago where they said that if you brush and floss your teeth regularly during pregnancy you are less likely to get preeclampsia...

I bet the study was done by men... When you have "morning" sickness and simply brushing your teeth makes you sick, and flossing gets you to look like a vampire, you might slow down on brushing and flossing.

That made me feel guilty for a while.... [:I]

Ileana 33
Angel stillborn 24w p-e 2/17/03
ileana

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News