O'Reilly claims that there is no death from preg.

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.
annegarrett

Re : O'Reilly claims that there is no death from preg.

Postby annegarrett » Fri Oct 20, 2006 04:46 pm

Well--talk about eloquent words! That was so wonderfully said I might just use it if called upon to talk by the "ahem" press. :) (Like that is going to happen.) Thanks Denise!

denise

Postby denise » Fri Oct 20, 2006 03:52 pm

Thank you Anne for your eloquent words.

Here are articles discussing this, they are reactionary so please keep that in mind.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200610170010

http://www.easternecho.com/cgi-bin/story.cgi?31447

I tend to shy away from discussing politics with most people, and believe me when I saw this come across the google alert I was steamed![:(!] While my personal feelings on this man are neither here nor there, his words have upset many people. I would hope that he has not had preeclampsia touch his life, like I would for anyone. However, what he said was insensitive and I am not getting the feeling he is sorry for his words. We all have been witness to horrible events with our own experiences and to learn of the losses our fellow members have had. That does make us more sensitive to words such as his. I've tried to see my way around what he said, and just can't do it. I was extremely upset at first, and then saddened at the fact that there are individuals out there who will take one person's word as fact and believe that complications of pregnancy do not exist.

This is a reminder that there are still women and men out there who are unaware of the dangers of preeclampsia. The Preeclampsia Foundation is doing the best is can to increase awareness so we don't lose another mom and/or baby. We are all a part of that, and our spirit is the driving force to change.

misup

Postby misup » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:59 am

Well said by everyone.. for once in my life, I am speechless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Has anyone contacted FOX Network to demand an apology?

Mis

lucy

Postby lucy » Fri Oct 20, 2006 03:34 am

Anne I havent had the chance to read the whole thread but read your letter to him and wanted to tell you awesome job on the letter awesomely put!! Its so sad that there is such ignorance about the dangers of Preeclampsia and other pregnancy related disorders.

annegarrett

Postby annegarrett » Thu Oct 19, 2006 04:59 pm

Is it possible that because Bill is not as close to PE as we are, he ignorantly is using the word "abortion" inaccurately?...(And that he needs some education about life-threatning complications of pregnancy, and a crash course in sensitivity?)

Wanted to respond to this--as I think I just went crashing by it in an entirely insensitive manner. Yes--it is possible that he is not as close to PE (in fact, probably likely). I would doubt he is using the term inaccurately. He is obviously well-respected in some areas and may (I cannot fully say) be very intelligent. He definitely needs a crash course in sensitivity (many men I know do--so we'll let him off on that.) IF he had apologized and made a correction, I would be more inclined to be forgiving. My issue is that every minute and a half a woman is delivered due to preeclampsia. Every day (EVERY DAY) we lose a woman in the US due to pregnancy complications (ectopic, preeclampsia, rupture, bleeding, stroke, e "tc) and the media and most Americans truly believe this is not possible. It's probably the issue about preeclampsia that I feel most passionately about. I have had the reluctant honor of being invited to speak to families who thought "this could not happen". I don't like that among my close personal friends are at least 8 who have lost a mother, daughter or wife. I don't like that my calendar has notes about the anniversary of their deaths and that Jaime (bless her) will call and remind me that today was the anniversary of Shelly's death and would I remember to call the family?! So frankly, I would bite the head off of anyone who made that comment--conservative or liberal--because it is just **** wrong and dangerous. You are all trying so hard to talk carefully around the abortion issue but this isn't about that issue. This is about getting your facts right--particularly those that might cause people pain. The man has done wrong and should admit it and apologize. He could do so much good by doing that. He could get this on a national platform. That he hasn't suggests to me that either he doesn't care that he was inaccurate or he has moved on. Either way, I don't want this to go down without a fight. Forgive my rant and know that I so appreciate everyone's passion and recognize that we can all get a bit "out of whack" from time to time. If I am offending anyone, I sincerely apologize. We need all you all to help us get the word out and to get the "correct" word out especially.

Thanks for putting up with me. (um yah yah)

Take care,

annegarrett

Postby annegarrett » Thu Oct 19, 2006 04:27 pm

Well you all are too nice. My mother always said--kill them with kindness. :) But for the record, my issue with O'Reilly is that he was inaccurate about pregnancy related deaths. My personal feelings aside about his qualities as a journalist, or his political perspective are entirely irrelevant here. The bottom line was the fact was not only wrong but unkind. And you know how I hate "unkind".

Also, have to clarify for everyone--Taras Mom and I went to a college called St. Olaf and their cheer is "um yah yah". It's sort of our Norwegian way of saying "You go girl!"

annes
Forum Moderator

Postby annes » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:57 am

Thanks Anne for saying what I wanted to say, but could not say so eloquently, and frankly without resorting to curse words[:p]. You are a champion for us all!

mada

Postby mada » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:18 am

Sir and Mr. are way to respectful of a title for this complete a$$. This man had the worst Karma ever, I take faith in knowing that. Anne!!!!! You are amazing!! So good to see you here!!!!

laura

Postby laura » Thu Oct 19, 2006 09:58 am

Good lord, that man is a tool.

Sandy, I can commiserate- my husband has the horrible habit of watching that darned poker and I haven't picked up a darned thing from it.

As for special members, I'm guessing that is for the private forum he might have.

taras mom

Postby taras mom » Thu Oct 19, 2006 05:41 am

O'Reilly was speculating that "legal abortions" "may not be the law of the land, unfettered, much longer" because the courts are considering several cases challenging the constitutionality of laws restricting abortion rights.

Despite his effort to spin this information in his favor (note how nimbly he leaps between Bleeding Martyr and Master of the Universe), the fact that courts are agreeing to hear constitutional challenges actually means that restrictions on abortion are MORE likely to be struck down. Reality can be so inconvenient! But there's more:

O'Reilly mentioned that "South Dakota, as you know, has voted to outlaw abortions unless the mother's life is in danger, which is never the case, because you can always have a C-section and do those kinds of things." Later, O'Reilly claimed that "a new CNN poll" found that "45 percent" of respondents "say all abortions should be outlawed unless the mother's going to die -- or catastrophic health consequences, which, again, is never the case -- never."

quote:Is it possible Bill was not making a difference between the words "abortion" and "immediate delivery regardless of gestational age due to a life-threatning pregnancy"?

That's really not the problem; it's his claim that the mother's life or health is never in danger--again, never. He's entitled to his opinions about the moral acceptability of abortion, but he's not entitled to lie about the risks of pregnancy.

quote:Is it possible that because Bill is not as close to PE as we are, he ignorantly is using the word "abortion" inaccurately?...(And that he needs some education about life-threatning complications of pregnancy, and a crash course in sensitivity?)

I'll refrain from commenting on what "Bill" really needs. Is it possible that someone with a nightly network TV show and the resources that go with it has never heard of an ectopic pregnancy? Is it possible that "Bill" has no interest in the life-threatening complications of pregnancy or in anything else that doesn't square with his contempt for women, sexuality, and life in general?

Return to “Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News”