New/Reply FAQ Members Login

oral magnesium, and not supplementing it

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

oral magnesium, and not supplementing it

Postby caryn » Wed Feb 21, 2007 01:04 am

"Continuing oral magnesium supplementation until delivery does not significantly prolong labor or increase the oxytocin requirement, but it significantly impairs breastfeeding competence..."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=15899543&query_hl=7&itool=pubmed_docsum

(Just more "don't experiment on yourself!" admonishment from your friendly neighborhood watchdog. We routinely have posters wondering about magnesium supplementation as a PE preventative...)

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure".
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : oral magnesium, and not supplementing it

Postby jana m » Thu Mar 01, 2007 07:42 am

Caryn,
I am taking calcium/magnesium supplements, but I can never remember why? Is it related to my having had severe PE or the fact that I had pre-term labor?
jana m

Postby caryn » Thu Mar 01, 2007 01:49 pm

Probably for the calcium, because it does seem to help lower the risk of severe consequences of PE (although it doesn't change PE rates, it *does* lower eclampsia rates.) I wonder if taking it with magnesium improves uptake of the calcium; does anyone know?

If your doc has approved it, Jana, you could print out the abstract and ask about it. The study's brand new, so I doubt anyone's really familiar with it yet, and I can't imagine anyone really suspected oral magnesium would have *that* much of an effect on breastfeeding.
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby blythe » Thu Mar 01, 2007 02:37 pm

Caryn, good instincts on your guess that magnesium is important for calcium absorption! When I was researching magnesium a while back that's exactly what I was reading. Unfortunately, it's hard to find completely objective research online about vitamin supplements because so many "complemetary medicine" folks write a lot online, and I don't have the background to know for sure what is accurate and reputable. I did find a Harvard website

http://huhs.harvard.edu/ClinicalServices/NutritionKnowHow/Calcium.htm
" You might decide that you don’t, or can’t, get enough calcium from food sources. (Hint: most children, adolescents women, and many men, consume less than their RDA.) Which calcium supplement you choose depends on other factors in your diet. Optimal calcium metabolism requires adequate amounts of vitamin D and magnesium as well. If your diet has little of these nutrients, you might want to include them in your supplement."

Most vitamin sites seemed to recommend a 2:1 ratio for calcium:magnesium supplementation, but again, I didn't find objective studies on that.

http://www.mgwater.com/calmagab.shtml is the "Magnesium Website's" explanation of how magnesium helps calcium absorption. It's a really interesting read, but I have no way of knowing if it's accurate [;)].

And thanks, Caryn, for the breastfeeding study! I knew mag sulfate delayed milk production / engorgement, but I was shocked to see regular magnesium supplements having an effect on breastfeeding!
blythe

Postby jana m » Thu Mar 01, 2007 04:39 pm

I'm am going to the doctor tomorrow and already have a copy of the abstract in my purse. If he says anything interesting, I'll post.

Thanks so much for your help.
jana m

Postby kara » Thu Mar 01, 2007 07:09 pm

I was on mag for 5 days and was told that at 31 weeks gestation my body may either not make milk, or it might take 7-10+ days. I had milk within 24 hours. I was also taking a calcium/magnesium supplement as prescribed. Very interesting.
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Thu Mar 01, 2007 07:58 pm

Well, the magnesium doesn't have to work via the mechanism of reducing milk supply, I suppose. Maybe it depresses the baby's suck reflex?

I have *no* idea -- I have to get my hands on the full-text. [:)]
caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News