PE associated with airway hyperresponsiveness

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.
bendecida27

Re : PE associated with airway hyperresponsiveness

Postby bendecida27 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 03:27 pm

Hello, I used the bomb for asthma when I was pregnant. And I lost my two babys.

hhbeachgurl

Postby hhbeachgurl » Mon Jan 28, 2008 07:37 pm

I have asthma, at times pretty severe, and during the beginning of my pregnancy through about 18 weeks I was needing to use my nebulizer

mother bear

Postby mother bear » Sat Jan 26, 2008 05:13 pm

Weird. I have allergic asthma. Only when I'm stupid enough to eat my trigger food. Funny thing though, it was the normal pregnancy that started off in week 3 with an asthma attack for the first time in a couple of years. Although I remember it was hard to breathe right after the PE birth with all the pounds of fluids going every which way. That wasn't asthma though, that was different.

sandy

Postby sandy » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:23 am

I, too, had had asthma since a child. I have wondered if decreased oxygen saturation in the bloodstream during pregnancy could have an affect in this way...

Yet another interesting development!

mrs.magdaleno

Postby mrs.magdaleno » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:00 pm

I have asthmatic allergies. I remember having to use my albuterol inhaler during my pregnancy. As Alanna mentioned, I too am not sure if it was my asthma or developing PE. Something to really think about.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Fri Jan 25, 2008 01:58 pm

I have reactive asthma, and it also was acting up last pregnancy. I also had that hard to breathe feeling at the end of my first pregnancy- not sure if it was asthma or developing PE.

Allergies and asthma run in my family, along with autoimmune disorders, so I wonder if AHR is associated with an overactive immune system.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:39 am

I have asthma and it is made worse in pregnancy!

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:03 am

I dont' have asthma, but I do have periodic dyspnea, or "air-hunger". I wonder if that could be related?

dja

Postby dja » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:49 pm

Wow - this is fascinating, esp since I have periodic asthma...

caryn
Forum Moderator

PE associated with airway hyperresponsiveness

Postby caryn » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:34 pm

Several large retrospective cohort studies demonstrate that pre-eclampsia is common in asthmatics. Whether airway hyperresponsiveness (AHR), a hallmark of asthma, is associated with pre-eclampsia is unknown. We measured AHR... AHR was increased in women who have had pre-eclampsia. This association and its possible mechanisms warrant further investigation.

http://tinyurl.com/2md392

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure".

Return to “Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News”