New/Reply FAQ Members Login

Obesity increases risk of preeclampsia by 4x

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

Re : Obesity increases risk of preeclampsia by 4x

Postby jeffy37 » Mon May 31, 2004 07:04 pm

Hi again--

Sorry it took me so long to reply to this. I'm not at the computer nearly as often now that the weather has improved!

Catherine, now that you mention it, my OB is not a small person herself. I don't know if it has anything to do with her not mentioning weight loss to me, but I can understand that if it were a factor. I suppose it's hard to take that kind of advice from someone who obviously also needs to lose a few pounds.

I am also afraid that reports like this will begin to characterize this disease as one that strikes "overweight" women. This is dangerous because I know several women who were very overweight that had no signs of preeclampsia, and at the same time I'm sure there are lots of fit, trim women who developed the disease. I don't think by any means it's the only factor to look at, but as Anne said, it's one piece of the puzzle for me and some other women as well.

As for my weight loss, it's still going well. I'm working out at least three times a week and I've gone down a pants size! I'm feeling more energy and better able to keep up with my two year old as well. We're still thinking about that second baby, but it might be a while yet!

Jenny (27)
dh Mike (28)
Evan 1/21/02 (31 weeks)
http://www.creamofpotatosoup.com
jeffy37

Previous

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News