Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Maternal Vitamin D Deficiency Increases the Risk o

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

Maternal Vitamin D Deficiency Increases the Risk o

Postby sckitzo » Tue Feb 26, 2008 05:44 pm

by sckitzo (362 Posts), Tue Feb 26, 2008 05:44 pm

Abstract:
A recent study showed that 5% of pregnant white women and 29% of pregnant blacks in the northeastern United States had vitamin D deficiency, defined as a serum level of 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] less than 37.5 nmol/liter. About half of women in both groups had evidence of vitamin D insufficiency, with 25(OH)D levels of 37.5-80 nmol/liter. These findings are ascribed both to a lack of adequate solar exposure and a low oral intake of vitamin D even when a 400-IU supplement is taken. The racial disparity in preeclampsia suggests that vitamin D may be a relevant factor. This nested case-control study enrolled nulliparous pregnant women with singleton pregnancies who were followed from before 16 weeks' gestation to delivery in the years 1997-2001. Of 274 women in the study, 55 developed preeclampsia, defined as had new-onset hypertension and proteinuria developing after 20 weeks' gestation.

Women with preeclampsia were older than those without it and likelier to be non-Hispanic white, married, more educated, nonsmokers, and overweight when pregnancy began. Adjusted serum 25(OH)D levels in early pregnancy were 15% lower in women who later developed preeclampsia than in control subjects. Maternal serum levels of 25(OH)D below 37.5 nmol/liter in early pregnancy were associated with a 5-fold increase in the risk of developing preeclampsia, independently of race/ethnicity, season of the year, gestational age at sampling, prepregnancy body mass index, and educational level. Adjusting for calcium intake altered the findings only slightly. After adjusting for several possible confounding factors, a 50-nmol/liter decline in serum 25(OH)D more than doubled the risk of preeclampsia. The adjusted odds ratio was 2.4 with a 95% confidence interval of 1.1-5.4. The disparity in maternal vitamin D levels persisted at the time of delivery. Cord blood serum levels of 25(OH)D were significantly lower in newborn infants whose mothers were preeclamptic. These infants were twice as likely as those whose mothers were not preeclamptic to have a serum 25(OH)D level below 37.5 nmol/liter after adjusting for confounding factors. None of the associations was influenced by maternal race or ethnicity.

These findings suggest that maternal vitamin D insufficiency in early pregnancy is an independent risk factor for preeclampsia. If these results are confirmed, vitamin D supplementation in early pregnancy could be an effective and safe means of preventing preeclampsia.

http://www.obgynsurvey.com/pt/re/obgynsurv/abstract.00006254-200802000-00001.htm;jsessionid=HGRRpTLJlZp08M2gr9yQQr2L01R2LQGxGSnkWfyjQ522vXvp12qY!-667243907!181195629!8091!-1
sckitzo

Re : Maternal Vitamin D Deficiency Increases the Risk o

Postby alviarin » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:41 pm

by alviarin (1651 Posts), Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:41 pm

Interesting. I found out a year postpartum my vitamin D levels were low.

I recently read an interesting article about vitamin D (btw vitamin D is a steroid precursor). It says that "Vitamin D seems to dampen an overactive immune system. The incidence of autoimmune diseases like Type 1 diabetes and multiple sclerosis has been linked to low levels of vitamin D"
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/19/health/19brod.html?_r=2&ref=science&oref=slogin&oref=slogin
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby amayasmom » Mon Jan 11, 2010 07:42 pm

by amayasmom (16 Posts), Mon Jan 11, 2010 07:42 pm

I found out a few months ago that I have very low vitamin D of only 22. I probably had it during pregnancy as well. It wasn't caught until it was so low I was having bone pain. I'm now on Calitrol (Vit. D supplement). I'm getting different ideas from doctors about weather I should continue to take this supplement during pregnancy or not. If low Vit. D causes PE then wouldn't it seem like it would be a greater benefit to take it and possibly prevent PE?
amayasmom

Postby alviarin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 09:19 pm

by alviarin (1651 Posts), Mon Jan 11, 2010 09:19 pm

Hi I have also had low vitamin D in the past.

Low vitamin D has been correlated to PE in studies, but we don't know if the relationship is co-incidental or casual. And we don't know if taking extra vitamin D is beneficial or not (or even harmful, since excess vitamin D can be toxic). Taking more than the RDA should only be done with a doctor's approval and testing in my opinion.

If I were you I would ask for a vitamin D re-test to see if your levels are in-range now, since it sounds like you have been supplementing for a few months.

Even though my vitamin D levels were low my GP wasn't sure how much I should be taking. However my endocrinologist has been very helpful in getting my levels back up to normal range. He prescribed me mega-doses of vitamin D for eight weeks to get my levels in-range.
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News