Impaired maternal cognitive functioning after sPE

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.
lola1971

Re : Impaired maternal cognitive functioning after sPE

Postby lola1971 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:08 am

I can definitely relate. In fact I became so frustrated about it and I knew it was related to hellp/pe.

cgaydos

Postby cgaydos » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:36 am

I recall having some memory loss after PE, but I also experienced word confusion, studdering and having a hard time getting sentences out prior to delivery. Mostly, right when my PE got severe.

mistygillette

Postby mistygillette » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:02 pm

I know that I didn't just have "mommy brain". For a while I couldn't remember lots of things. How to get somewhere that I had been many times, phone numbers that I have known for years, I even forgot how to type on my laptop. That was scary! After 6 months, I am getting better but it has been a journey. It seems like the more I use my brain the better I get.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:55 am

I haven't pulled the full-text of this study yet, but it looks like the only way which sPE mothers were different from other new mothers was in their ability to remember spoken words later. In all other respects we were just as scatterbrained as your average new mom. [:)]

Those tests tend to be something like this: they put the test subject in a room with a speaker and play a series of words at her, then move her to another room and ask her to recall as many of those words as possible. *That* we had problems doing. Well, and we had more trouble with interruptions in the middle of that test than other new mothers, in that they made us score even lower.

But I think the "naming" test, where we scored the same as other new mothers, is the one where you have to pull a name for an object out of your memory...? And the "word fluency" one is where you have to come up with a bunch of related words in a certain amount of time? Are any psych people out there familiar with these tests?

(I'll get to the full-text after I finish my taxes!)

cindyh27

Postby cindyh27 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 08:25 am

For some reason this just made me really sad... no one got it when I was trying to explain it to them after I delivered… even today 14 months pp I still have trouble… I noticed the study focused on 3 to 8 months pp…

alaskamommy

Postby alaskamommy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 03:37 pm

Oh, me too. Definitely. I still have trouble completing basic sentences, seven months out.

rosalinda

Postby rosalinda » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:12 pm

Well....that certainly explains a lot!

lisainnj

Postby lisainnj » Mon Apr 07, 2008 08:29 pm

I have noticed difficulty with word recall myself. I have a harder time than I used to learning new terms for my classes.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Mon Apr 07, 2008 03:01 pm

I still feel impaired 2.5 years later! Thanks for the article Caryn!

frasiah
Forum Moderator

Postby frasiah » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:45 am

It never ceases to amaze me how pregnancy which is such a natural process can be so fraught with complications both during and after the event for some women. PE hangs around the neck long after the dust has settled somewhat touching every facet of our lives. I am not so surprised to find it also has a neurological impact...

Return to “Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News”