PCOS, metformin, PE rates

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

PCOS, metformin, PE rates

Postby caryn » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:41 am

Cases were divided into three groups: group A, 40 women who stopped metformin between 4-16 weeks of pregnancy; group B, 20 women who received metformin up until 32 weeks of gestation; and group C; 45 women who continued metformin throughout pregnancy. All the groups were matched by age, height and weight. Comparison was in terms of early and late pregnancy complications, intrauterine growth restriction and live birth rates. In groups A, B and C the rate of pregnancy-induced hypertension/pre-eclampsia was 43.7%, 33% and 13.9% respectively (P < 0.020)...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18834342

So this is a preliminary study, but it suggests that maybe if PCOS patients use metformin throughout pregnancy, it will lower their risk of preeclampsia.

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure".
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : PCOS, metformin, PE rates

Postby molly419 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:55 am

Thanks for posting the study. My doctors are keeping me on Metformin throughout my entire pregnancy.
molly419

Postby hols537 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 03:24 pm

I had PCOS and took metformin with my first. Too bad they stopped me at 12 weeks. How strong a risk factor is PCOS? I had it before my 1st, but not before my 2nd...
hols537

Postby mikeys mom » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:48 am

Okay... You have me... I stopped it 13 weeks my Pre-E Hellp pregnancy.. Stopped it at 11 weeks my bed rest no pre-e pregnancy... I am on it now... I don't know if I will get pregnant but if I do maybe I will just stay on it...

mikeys mom

Postby molly419 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 01:06 pm

I was told by my MFM that because of my history of PCOS, being my "cause" for PE, I have a 33%-50% of reacurrance for this pregnancy.
molly419

Postby sarab » Fri Oct 10, 2008 02:32 pm

Very interesting! I am on Met for PCOS. My OB said that if we ever decide to attempt number 3, he would leave me on it for the entire pregnancy.
sarab
Site Admin

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News