Simple prepregnant prediction rule for recurrent

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

Simple prepregnant prediction rule for recurrent

Postby caryn » Wed Jan 21, 2009 03:01 pm

...Early-onset preeclampsia and/or HELLP recurred in 16 (9%) of 186 next pregnancies. The prediction model included high-density lipoprotein (mmol/L) and 24-hour urinary total protein excretion (mg/mmol creatinine). The receiver operating characteristic area was 0.77 (95% confidence interval: 0.68-0.87). Predictive sensitivity and specificity were 94% (69%-99%) and 53% (45%-60%), respectively. Nearly 50% of the women could be classified as having <1% risk of recurrent early-onset disease...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19144890

Great. My HDL is low.

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure".
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : Simple prepregnant prediction rule for recurrent

Postby kara » Wed Jan 21, 2009 03:58 pm

Can you dumb that down a bit, Caryn? Did they weed out those with clotting, renal and other disorders? And where does the HDL come in?
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby jgrumet » Thu Jan 22, 2009 01:32 am

Wow, I didn't understand any of that
jgrumet

Postby caryn » Thu Jan 22, 2009 01:20 pm

Oh, I'm just ranting. They've developed an algorithm that will let them plug in your personal variables -- like your age, your gestational age at onset, your HDL levels, your 24-hour proteinuria -- and then it will tell you if you're at low risk of recurrence regardless of the fact that you've got a history of PE.

In other words, it picks out the subset of women who've had it, and who *probably* won't get it again.

And the fact that they mentioned HDL so prominently means that it was kind of important. There's some reason to think that the risk for later cardiovascular disease onset is related to low HDL, too.

IIRC, you can raise HDL with niacin and hard exercise. (...Caryn goes off to pick up the weights. Again.)
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Thu Jan 22, 2009 03:50 pm

Can I borrow those weights?

My "good" cholesterol is low too, darn it.
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Thu Jan 22, 2009 04:17 pm

hmm...I have high LDL and high HDL. My doc is ok with my cholesterol because the good is high, even thought he bad is high. Which seems a bit bizarre to me, but then again I was probably the only, healthy, active, fit 12 year old with high cholesterol. But then again I gotta bunch of other underlying disorders, so it probalby doesn't pertain to me anyway.
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby darateacher » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:58 am

My cholesterol ratio has been a bit off for a while due to family inheritance. However, since I am a runner when I'm not pg, my HDL is usually far above 40, where the docs like to see it. I think at last check up in '05-06, I was at 54, or something like that.
darateacher

Postby jules2 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 04:36 pm

This is an old post I know - but i really like this article it as I plugged my numbers in and it gives me a much much lower risk of early recurrence than my OB suggests.

He told me 10-15% risk of early recurrence (before 30 weeks - I delivered last time at 26+1). Its only 2.9% for me according to this [I do lots of hard exercise and have high HDL - last time 1.7mmol/l, think thats about 68 in US units - and it was higher before pregnancy and PE).

I think I might send this to my OB.

Thanks
jules2

Postby rosalinda » Tue Aug 11, 2009 05:36 pm

I'm confused, what is the formula and how do I plug in my numbers?
rosalinda

Postby jules2 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 05:13 am

They don't spell it out in the article very clearly. If you can send me your high-density lipoprotein (mmol/L) and 24-hour urinary total protein excretion (mg/mmol creatinine), I will plug it in for you. I have epidemiology PhD so am very comfortable with this [but also know the limitations of these statistical models - and wonder why HDL is so powerful in this one?]. The most reassuring thing in this article is that nearly all these women managed to get a lot further in a subsequent pregnancy.
jules2

Next

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News