Pregnancy problems up stroke risk in offspring

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

Pregnancy problems up stroke risk in offspring

Postby caryn » Mon Apr 06, 2009 02:55 pm

Adults whose mothers suffered from "preeclampsia" or "gestational hypertension" while pregnant appear to be at increased risk of suffering a stroke, new research suggests.

Preeclampsia is a complication of pregnancy marked by high blood pressure, fluid retention and protein in urine, whereas gestational hypertension is high blood pressure that develops during pregnancy.

In a study, researchers found that people whose mothers had preeclampsia have nearly double the risk of stroke...

http://uk.reuters.com/article/healthNewsMolt/idUKTRE52U4WU20090331

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure".
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : Pregnancy problems up stroke risk in offspring

Postby sonja » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:15 pm

Yikes - another thing to worry about.
sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:34 pm

Interesting. DH is a PE baby, and I recently found out there is a history of early heart disease on his father's side of the family.
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby missgamecock » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:43 pm

Oh no. I am a pe baby and my grandmother died of a stroke. Good thing my pcp is the bp nazi. She literally freaks if it is 120/80. She likes it at 110/60-70. So you can imagine how she was when my bp was up in the pp and pregnancy. One day she told me to ask my ob about how long it was going to go on to be pregnancy related cause she was only going to tolerate it for so long. Thankfully it is only a little high now. I should start running these heart related issues by her so she can check me out thoroughly for it. At what point do you see a cardiologist instead of your pcp?
missgamecock

Postby theartsymom » Tue Apr 07, 2009 09:08 pm

ugh.
theartsymom

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News