PE and Risk of Developing Subsequent Diabetes

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

PE and Risk of Developing Subsequent Diabetes

Postby caryn » Sat May 09, 2009 10:56 pm

...Preeclampsia was associated with a higher risk of diabetes adjusting for age, primigravidity, and gestational diabetes (hazard ratio, HR 1.82, 95%CI 1.26, 2.62) and in women without gestational diabetes (n = 30,109; HR 1.86, 95%CI 1.22, 2.84). Conclusion: Women with preeclampsia have greater risk of developing diabetes, even in the absence of gestational diabetes...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19412838

Oh hooray.

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure".
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : PE and Risk of Developing Subsequent Diabetes

Postby brooklynsmom » Sat May 09, 2009 11:33 pm

Yeah, nothing like being at risk to be a walking health disaster in 25 years...again, just a *subtle* warning to really work at keeping ourselves as healthy as possible! Ugh...now I'm gonna put down my leftover Easter candy I am munching on, since I had gestational diabetes, which I am sure puts me at a higher risk....JOY!
brooklynsmom

Postby rebeccac » Sun May 10, 2009 05:07 pm

At least I know I already have it, LOL ;)
rebeccac

Postby sonja » Sun May 10, 2009 08:56 pm

Man - I always thought that I had at least dodged that bullet.
sonja
Forum Moderator

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News