Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Increased Neutrophil Numbers Account for Leukocyto

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

Increased Neutrophil Numbers Account for Leukocyto

Postby caryn » Sun May 31, 2009 09:33 pm

by caryn (10131 Posts), Sun May 31, 2009 09:33 pm

...The total leukocyte count was significantly increased in women with severe PE compared with women with mild PE and normal pregnant controls: 10.66 +/- 3.70 ( P < 0.0001) versus 9.47 +/- 2.59 and 8.55 +/- 1.93 (1 x 10 (3)/muL), respectively. The increased total leukocyte count was mainly due to the increase in neutrophil numbers: 8.05 +/- 4.01 (severe; P < 0.0001) versus 6.69 +/- 2.23 (mild) and 5.90 +/- 1.79 (controls), respectively. The total neutrophil count was further increased 48 hours after delivery in the group with severe PE. No statistical differences for monocyte and lymphocyte counts were observed between normal and PE groups...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19452432

Wow. That's (statistically) *huge* -- P < 0.0001 means that there's less than a 1 in 10,000 chance that they got these results by accident. So, yet another study saying that severe PE patients have pissed-off neutrophils, which means that our adaptive immune systems are activated to respond to a foreign invader...

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure".
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : Increased Neutrophil Numbers Account for Leukocyto

Postby atvlady » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:56 am

by atvlady (1000 Posts), Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:56 am

Very interesting. I wonder if that is why my numbers on those 2 were elevated/high plus my WBC was elevated/high as well when I was 7 weeks 6 days pregnant. Extremley interesting. I wonder if there would be a "sequence" that your blood count numbers go through and add in the physical symptoms as well that would show pre-e creeping up or your body trying to get rid of the *parasite* aka fetus.
atvlady

Postby catherine » Sat Jul 25, 2009 03:42 pm

by catherine (2832 Posts), Sat Jul 25, 2009 03:42 pm

I think that I would be inclined to interpret these results as evidence of a significant and acute inflammatory response. Neutrophils function as important innate effector cells. Thus they become activated in response to non-specific, pro-inflammatory molecules such as parts of viruses or bacteria. They bind them, they ingest and degrade them and then they die. The lifespan of these cells is very short, they have a half life of about 24 hours. Leukocytes more closely associated with adaptive responses are T-cells, or B-cells which make antibody.
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sun Jul 26, 2009 02:26 am

by caryn (10131 Posts), Sun Jul 26, 2009 02:26 am

Thanks for that, Catherine. I think I was thinking of T-regs. :-)

So yeah, *not* an adaptive response -- an innate response (an inflammatory one) -- because Catherine would know!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News