Lawsuit Contends Drug Caused Brain Damage In Twins

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

Lawsuit Contends Drug Caused Brain Damage In Twins

Postby laura » Sat May 22, 2004 07:16 am

http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/3330993/detail.html?subid=10100681

This is not specifically about preeclampsia, but it discusses the "off label" use of medications for pregnant women--
laura

Re : Lawsuit Contends Drug Caused Brain Damage In Twins

Postby taras mom » Sat May 22, 2004 11:28 pm

"Basically, every drug is being used off label and we as physicians don't tell patients," said Dr. John Elliott. "That's not meaningful to them. Look, we're giving you prenatal vitamins. They're being used off label. That's not a meaningful conversation."

Is it just me, or is this guy off his rocker? In what possible way is drug information "not meaningful" to patients? It's his job to make it meaningful--to make sure the patient understands the implications of off-label use. And what off-label use of prenatal vitamins is he referring to? And does he expect patients to ask whether every prescription is off label? I consider myself lucky to have better doctors than this, but as George Carlin reminds us, at this very moment, someone has an appointment with the world's worst doctor.

Carol (38)
DH Bill (40)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News