Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Anticoagulants to prevent placenta-mediated pregna

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

Anticoagulants to prevent placenta-mediated pregna

Postby caryn » Mon Jun 29, 2009 04:18 am

by caryn (10110 Posts), Mon Jun 29, 2009 04:18 am

Controversy exists whether inherited or acquired thrombophilias cause placenta-mediated complications. Small randomized studies with methodological limitations suggest that antepartum anticoagulant prophylaxis will reduce pregnancy loss in women with both acquired and inherited thrombophilia and prior pregnancy loss. There are no published randomized controlled trials examining anticoagulant prophylaxis in thrombophilic women with prior preeclampsia, intrauterine growth restriction or placental abruption. More recently, the benefit of antepartum anticoagulant prophylaxis in women without thrombophilia with prior placenta-mediated pregnancy complications has been suggested in a small pilot randomized trial...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19550316

In other words, we don't really know if thrombophilias are helped by anticoagulants. Yet.

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure".
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : Anticoagulants to prevent placenta-mediated pregna

Postby mother bear » Wed Jul 15, 2009 09:34 am

by mother bear (270 Posts), Wed Jul 15, 2009 09:34 am

I found the trial mentioned in the last sentence above.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19036070?ordinalpos=6&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

This small pilot randomized trial shows a significant difference in primary outcome in women WITHOUT thrombophilias receiving lovenox and baby aspirin in preventing preeclampsia, placental abruption, fetal growth restriction, and fetal loss? 23 percent down to 5 percent is pretty nice to see... but the conclusion is, as always, more randomized trials are needed.

Er, don't mind me, just doing some last minute research to back up my "I don't wanna do lovenox again" claim.
mother bear

Postby beth11 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:49 am

by beth11 (202 Posts), Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:49 am

Confession - I've never been able to figure out how to get to the full text of these articles! It must be just me since mother bear obviously foud it :) Anyone?
beth11

Postby caryn » Wed Jul 15, 2009 01:02 pm

by caryn (10110 Posts), Wed Jul 15, 2009 01:02 pm

Beth, it depends on the publishing house. Some of these are hidden behind a for-profit firewall, and that means you can get them if you have institutional access, but otherwise you've got to pay.

There's actually a huge push in the science community to make these papers available online to everyone, and so some of them -- like the one motherbear just linked -- have buttons somewhere on the abstract page that will take you to the full-text paper once you've found the abstract by searching in PubMed. (They're *usually* -- but not always -- in the middle of the upper right quadrant of the screen.)
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Jul 15, 2009 01:05 pm

by caryn (10110 Posts), Wed Jul 15, 2009 01:05 pm

Oh, and it seems to me that "I don't *want* to do Lovenox and I understand that this might mean I've got a slightly higher risk" is a perfectly good justification!

I know both Catherine and Laura declined heparin/Lovenox on precisely those grounds with their last pregnancies. I would do the same, because I'm needlephobic, and pass out.

:-)
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby neslo » Wed Jul 15, 2009 03:18 pm

by neslo (679 Posts), Wed Jul 15, 2009 03:18 pm

I'm with Beth! I can read the little abstract for most of these articles - but can never get to the full text. Not that I would understand them anyway...

The MFM I see specializes in Thrombophilias during pregnancy (She's part of the MFM group at a large research hospital). I'm part of some study that she is conducting - but we discussed it so long ago I've completely forgotten exactly what they were looking at. She enrolled me in the study before I even got pregnant again.
neslo

Postby mother bear » Wed Jul 15, 2009 04:58 pm

by mother bear (270 Posts), Wed Jul 15, 2009 04:58 pm

Yeah, I know that my wants trump all, but I wanted to justify to myself what exactly the state of the science was. You know, if they had an actual study on point that was relevant to me (which they don't), that showed a significant difference and benefit, then, yeah, I'd think harder, probably do it.

I did Lovenox last time. I just didn't want to do it again, knowing what it entailed (pain and suffering plus $180 per month out of pocket) without just a wee bit more "proof" of benefit, or being enrolled in a study. "Well, I think that 90% of the MFMs in this office would recommend that you take it" (actual quote, by the way) just doesn't cut it for my own very personal risk-benefit analysis.
mother bear

Postby caryn » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:37 pm

by caryn (10110 Posts), Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:37 pm

Yes, exactly. I'd suck it up for proven benefit, lol!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News