for all us info junkies -- patient symposium

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

for all us info junkies -- patient symposium

Postby caryn » Tue Aug 11, 2009 01:58 pm

Sara sez: Want to get the latest preeclampsia information from the top minds in the field? Please consider attending the Preeclampsia Foundation's Patient Symposium, held in conjunction with Saving Grace, in Chicago on October 23rd. Details here:

http://www.preeclampsia.org/pdf/patient_symp.pdf

Please note there are a limited number of tickets available!

And now to the inevitable question: will the Patient Symposium be taped? The answer is YES, so long as we can secure a sponsor to cover the cost of producing the DVD. The Foundation needs about $1,000 or a total in-kind donation for this, so if you may be able to help find a sponsor please let us know!

(Caryn sez: OOOOH! SHINY!)
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : for all us info junkies -- patient symposium

Postby rebecca2 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 06:38 pm

Caryn, do you know if there is an agenda yet? I'd like to know who is speaking, topics, etc.
rebecca2

Postby kara » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:21 pm

Email jamie, who's email address is at the bottom of the registration form. She'll have the most up to date info on speakers and agenda.
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby missgamecock » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:15 pm

Instead of a dvd, is it possible to do a webcast of it or upload the video to the site?
missgamecock

Postby kara » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:30 pm

Yes, I'm sure that is possible. We still need to have professional video in order to produce something of quality that will also professionally represent the PF - and that is where the cost comes in.
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Wed Aug 19, 2009 03:06 pm

Rebecca2,

I just got this information from our Exec. Dir about the patient symposium:

Confirmed speakers are:
Dr. Doug Woelkers, University of California, San Diego
Dr. Denise Raynor, Emory University
Dr. Melissa Wilson, University of Southern California
Dr. Jim Roberts, University of Pittsburgh, Magee Womens
Dr. Jim Martin, University of Mississippi

There are a couple more speakers that we are waiting confirmation from.

Topics include:
Preeclampsia: History, Contemporary Definitions and Diagnosis
Impact of underlying disorders; Risk of recurrence
Prevention: What can I do?
Genetics: Does it matter who your parents are?
What’s the long-term health impact on surviving mothers and babies? (heart disease, metabolic syndrome, brain lesions, etc.)
Current research & developments in screening & diagnostic tests
HELLP Syndrome – Short and long-term impact

Each presenter will also take Q&A.

Early bird registration fees expire Monday (must be postmarked by Monday), but of course we're still taking registrations until we hit our max of 70 tickets sold. I'd love to pack the room to show these docs how much we appreciate their time and support of the Preeclampsia Foundation. The link to our registration form can be found on our home page.
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Thu Aug 20, 2009 05:02 pm

Two more speakers have confirmed:

Drs. Thomas Easterling (Chair of our Medical Board)
and Ananth Karumanchi will be speaking at the Patient Symposium (PF Medical board).

I also forgot to mention in the previous message that Drs. Raynor, Roberts, and Martin also sit on the PF's Medical Board, and represent the foremost experts in the field of Hypertensive Disorders of Pregnancy. To review our entire medical board and their specific fields of expertise, please go here: http://www.preeclampsia.org/Mboard.asp

It's an opportunity of a lifetime to have these experts in one room, speaking to regular, non-medical folks, like most of us, who's lives were so touched by hypertensive disorders of pregnancy. And to be able to ask questions of them....well, I'm ecstatic!
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby rebecca2 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 01:33 pm

Thanks for the update Kara. It sounds very informative. Both my husband and I are going to attend.
rebecca2

Postby kara » Fri Aug 21, 2009 03:23 pm

Looking forward to meeting you!
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby baby0813 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 05:51 pm

I don't know if it would be realistic or if I'm a page behind you guys, but...
My sister was on a new, small nonprofit board and merchants were willing to take a portion of their payment up front and take the remainder after the nonprofit made proceeds from the sale of the merchandise. Perhaps people could sign up and pay for a copy of the DVD before the symposium and a videographer would be willing to wait for the remainder of the payment until after some more sales? Would it be worth selling the DVDs at the Saving Grace event too where there will be a greater number of people available to purchase them?

I will not be able to attend the symposium, but I would really like to hear what they have to say. I'm sure others who attend would like to purchase a DVD for future reference or to give to friends or family.
baby0813

Next

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News