Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Health of children born to mothers who had PE

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

Health of children born to mothers who had PE

Postby caryn » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:49 am

by caryn (10124 Posts), Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:49 am

Children born at term exposed to preeclampsia had an increased risk of a variety of diseases, such as endocrine, nutritional, and metabolic diseases (incidence rate ratio, 1.6; 95% confidence interval, 1.5-1.7), and diseases of the blood and blood-forming organs (incidence rate ratio, 1.5; 95% confidence interval, 1.3-1.8). Children born preterm exposed to preeclampsia had a similar pattern of hospitalizations compared with the children born preterm unexposed to preeclampsia, although they had a decreased risk of cerebral palsy (incidence rate ratio, 0.7; 95% confidence interval, 0.6-0.9).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19733276

So our children are about one and a half times as likely to have various sorts of metabolic diseases. They end up in the hospital at about the same rate, and are less likely to be born with cerebral palsy. Most of those diseases are pretty rare, and 1.5 times a small number is still a small number, but this might explain some of our demographic results like an uptick in the number of children with Type I diabetes...

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure".
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : Health of children born to mothers who had PE

Postby hols537 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 01:06 pm

by hols537 (1031 Posts), Mon Sep 14, 2009 01:06 pm

Forgive my unscientific brain's question, but are the term babies exposed to PE at higher risk than the preterm babies exposed to PE?
hols537

Postby caryn » Mon Sep 14, 2009 07:20 pm

by caryn (10124 Posts), Mon Sep 14, 2009 07:20 pm

That is worded a little bit strangely. :-)

They're trying to differentiate between problems caused by PE per se, and problems caused by prematurity. So they looked at the population of term PE babies versus term non-PE babies to find the difference in disease rates, and they looked at preterm PE babies versus term non-PE babies to find the difference in hospitalization rates. The idea was that preterm PE babies might experience hospitalization at different rates (they don't) and that PE babies generally might have a different distribution of disease (they do, but not of things related to their precipitious deliveries, or they'd be hospitalized more frequently than preterm non-PE babies.)

So all of the PE babies are at higher risk of (comparatively rare) metabolic disorders -- this might be because the genes that cause those disorders also affect placentation, or, in other words, not caused by PE but just correlated to it -- but not more likely to be hospitalized as preemies.

Does that make sense?
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby hols537 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 07:16 am

by hols537 (1031 Posts), Tue Sep 15, 2009 07:16 am

Yes, thanks for explaining!
hols537

Postby rebeccac » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:06 pm

by rebeccac (761 Posts), Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:06 pm

Being diabetic myself, I was worried about my child developing it and questioned many health care professionals before becoming pregnant. No one had a clear answer as to if it would happen or not. Throw this in and I would guess the chances become greater. As the saying goes, "whatever will be, will be". At least I'm familiar with what to look for and how to take care of it if need be.

Where can I get a copy of this to show my endocrinologist?
rebeccac

Postby caryn » Wed Sep 16, 2009 01:08 am

by caryn (10124 Posts), Wed Sep 16, 2009 01:08 am

Rebecca, I can't believe I forgot to paste the link. :-) It's there now!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News