Preeclampsia Tied to Future Thyroid Issues

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

Preeclampsia Tied to Future Thyroid Issues

Postby caryn » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:34 am

Women who develop preeclampsia during pregnancy are at increased risk of hypothyroidism later in life, researchers said.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/OBGYN/Pregnancy/17096

Basically, a history of preeclampsia raises risk of future thyroid problems, probably because the chemicals known to cause PE also interact with the thyroid gland. So, talk to your internists about thyroid screening now and in the future! (Here's a link to the [url="http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/339/nov17_1/b4336"]full text[/url] of the study.)

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure".
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : Preeclampsia Tied to Future Thyroid Issues

Postby hols537 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 02:00 pm

Ever feel like a walking-ticking-timebomb? This is another I already get screened for regularly thanks to my mom having hypothyroid.
hols537

Postby mother bear » Mon Nov 23, 2009 04:27 pm

NOW you tell me!!! Oy. If I had known that three and a half years ago... when I had all those symptoms of postpartum thyroiditis...
mother bear

Postby caryn » Mon Nov 23, 2009 07:31 pm

I know, right?

Alanna has been *all over this*. She picked it up before the researchers. :-)
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby tree » Mon Nov 23, 2009 08:34 pm

PE has given me so many gifts... Perhaps I will work on being more thankful this week. Postpartum thyroiditis is a HOOT!
I guess this means I have to really train the vampire at my internists office - she always starts with the big needle on me, and that has to stop if we are going to have regular screening visits.
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Fri Nov 27, 2009 01:37 am

I'm still wondering what came first: the chicken or the egg? A borderline thyroid problem upping risk of PE? Or a history of PE increasing the chance of developing a thyroid problem?
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby beetkvass » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:21 pm

Bah, I just feel broken and doomed...
beetkvass

Postby caryn » Mon Dec 21, 2009 09:26 am

We are all broken together. :-)
caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News