Lifestyle Modification Program Decreases Preg Gain

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

Lifestyle Modification Program Decreases Preg Gain

Postby caryn » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:29 am

Study participants gained significantly less weight in their pregnancies when compared with controls (mean weight gain 17 versus 34 pounds, respectively; P = 0.008). Secondary outcomes of preeclampsia, gestational diabetes, cesarean section, as well as infant birth weight did not significantly differ between the groups.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20013602

So the groups were too small to really say anything about whether or not controlling weight gain in pregnancy in a population of obese women actually lowers PE rates. In this very small population, it did not -- but there's proof of concept: this tactic did significantly reduce pregnancy weight gain. So now they'll try it in a larger population and check to see whether or not it actually lowers risk of preeclampsia etc. (Personally I suspect it will not affect PE rates, since PE seems to be driven by a placental mismatch. But this would be how to figure out whether or not larger weight gains are causing PE or just correlated to it!)

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure".
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : Lifestyle Modification Program Decreases Preg Gain

Postby mother bear » Tue Dec 22, 2009 09:25 am

Hah! Of course larger weight gains should be correlated with PE, if'n y'all're talking about water weight, that is. :) Or auto-immune thyroid issues. But mostly water weight. I also doubt that controlling non-water weight gain (mmm... those holiday sugar cookies are yummy) will have much affect if any on PE, though you never know about GD...
mother bear

Re : Lifestyle Modification Program Decreases Preg Gain

Postby caryn » Tue Dec 22, 2009 06:16 pm

Yep. I had a steady weight gain and then a ballooning at the end, and a monster appetite, and a few weeks postpartum was 30 pounds below my starting weight. Lifestyle modification just would have made me hungrier. :-)
caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News