Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Prothrombin gene G20210A mutation & obstetric comp

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

Prothrombin gene G20210A mutation & obstetric comp

Postby caryn » Tue Dec 29, 2009 09:06 pm

by caryn (10131 Posts), Tue Dec 29, 2009 09:06 pm

There was no association between the prothrombin G20210A mutation and pregnancy loss, preeclampsia, abruption, or SGA neonates in a low-risk, prospective cohort. These data raise questions about the practice of screening women without a history of thrombosis or adverse pregnancy outcomes for this mutation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20027028

As opposed to the other study I just posted, this study says the prothrombin mutation *doesn't* raise risk. So dueling studies, yay! I'll have to take a good look at them both and see how they controlled their variables etc., but my instinct is to run with this one until proven otherwise simply because a) some big familiar names are authors on the paper and b) some other work has been weakening the association with thrombophilias and pregnancy complications.

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure".
caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News