Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Effects of labor on placental expression of SOD

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

Effects of labor on placental expression of SOD

Postby caryn » Sat May 08, 2010 04:44 pm

by caryn (10124 Posts), Sat May 08, 2010 04:44 pm

In this study, we showed that the reported decrease for SOD activity in PE may be attributed to SOD1 in absence of labor. Also, this is the first study characterizing specific SOD isoforms according to the mode of delivery. We demonstrated in PE that labor upregulates SOD1 in fetal membranes as well as SOD2 and SOD3 in the whole placenta...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20226522

So labor does some stuff to us that it doesn't do to normal pregnant women, and that doesn't happen to us if we don't go into labor. SOD stands for "superoxide dismutase", a tissue antioxidant. The researchers will take a look at this specific change in the chemicals produced by the placenta to see if it suggests a theraputic change in clinical practice might be possible.

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure".
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : Effects of labor on placental expression of SOD

Postby jmom08 » Sat May 08, 2010 11:23 pm

by jmom08 (486 Posts), Sat May 08, 2010 11:23 pm

Interesting!! Do you know if they know what (if any) impact the difference in SOD activity might have on mom & baby -- is this more of a symptom / indication of PE, or something that could in turn affect other factors in labor? (I'm scientifically challenged, and not having much luck understanding the abstract or the links I'm pulling up with google searches!)
jmom08

Re : Effects of labor on placental expression of SOD

Postby caryn » Mon May 10, 2010 01:50 pm

by caryn (10124 Posts), Mon May 10, 2010 01:50 pm

I think that's probably precisely the list of questions they're asking now that they've figured out that this is happening. :)

The data just show that these changes are occuring. Given what we know about outcomes in PE women with induction as opposed to Caesarean, I don't guess it would really change management in that respect. By that I mean that probably induction would still be preferred, so we could avoid having to recover from surgery *too* -- because the data show that outcomes from the two methods are pretty equivalent IIRC.

But it *might*, in the long run, point in the direction of some other clinical intervention that could quiet our symptoms somewhat, which would be lovely.
caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News