Inhibition of the PI3K-Akt pathway suppresses sFlt

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

Inhibition of the PI3K-Akt pathway suppresses sFlt

Postby caryn » Tue May 25, 2010 11:28 pm

...Inhibition of the PI3K-Akt pathway may be a useful therapeutic approach, if it were to decrease sFlt1 secretion without inhibiting VEGF or PlGF secretion. This pathway provides a potential target for a new treatment strategy in patients with pre-eclampsia...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20488538

So researchers took samples of placentas and used them in a model for placental hypoxia, because it looks like running short of blood and oxygen is the switch that makes the placenta start producing the proteins that make our symptoms appear.

They turned off various biochemical cascades one at a time, and then measured the levels of the proteins that matter in preeclampsia, VEGF and PlGF and sFlt. Inhibiting one particular chemical cascade lowered levels of sFlt without lowering levels of VEGF or PlGF. (Yay!) This means that if they could figure out how to do that safely in pregnant women, it might work as a therapy for preeclampsia.

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure".
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : Inhibition of the PI3K-Akt pathway suppresses sFlt

Postby breannesmith55 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 08:28 pm

yay! thanks for sharing thats major progress. hmm i wonder how they could do this safely?
breannesmith55

Re : Inhibition of the PI3K-Akt pathway suppresses sFlt

Postby miamibunnie » Wed Jun 23, 2010 09:44 pm

Hi Breanne, Congrats on your second baby. I had eclampsia at 24-25 wks in 1996 and my daughter has been doing wonderful. She will be 14, but recently I had my second daughter and she was not helped, I delivered her at 23 wks about 10 wks ago. I only had preeclampsia with protein in my urine. I feel that in this case my baby was not intubated and was let to die.They never made any attempt to save her. My advice to you is that make sure you are being seen by a MFM in a facility that have are equipped to help preemies. In my situation I was being monitored by a MFM but I happen to get sick at work and I work for a hospital which pretty much is horrible. This was an awful experience which would not want anyone to go thru this. I have an appt with my MFM tomorrow because she wants to see how I wasbeing treated while I was admitted in the other facility and when is best to try again. I am so nervous....because dt know what she will say.

Liz

quote:
Originally posted by breannesmith55

yay! thanks for sharing thats major progress. hmm i wonder how they could do this safely?

miamibunnie

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News