Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Pathogenesis of preeclampsia: the genetic component

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

Pathogenesis of preeclampsia: the genetic component

Postby caryn » Sun Dec 18, 2011 05:13 pm

by caryn (10111 Posts), Sun Dec 18, 2011 05:13 pm

From an epidemiological point of view, many studies have shown that PE is a disease with a strong familiar predisposition, which also varies according to geographical, socioeconomic, and racial features, and this information can be used in the prediction process. Large amounts of research have shown a genetic association with a multifactorial polygenic inheritance in the development of this disease.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22175024

Yep, my sister and I both had it, and I've a strong family history of chronic hypertension. DH's brother fathered a child with severe IUGR, so his family makes weird placentas. The combination? Not so awesome.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re: Pathogenesis of preeclampsia: the genetic component

Postby kerisue » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:26 pm

by kerisue (623 Posts), Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:26 pm

but then again no one in my entire family has ever had it as far back as we can determine which is several generations. fob's side either. (though there is general hypertension in the family)
Mama to Millie
born June 2010 @ 24 wks. gestation due to my severe PE and CHF
lived 25 days, loved and missed
kerisue
Forum Moderator

Postby cmccaffrey » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:48 pm

by cmccaffrey (458 Posts), Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:48 pm

same with my family history, Kerisue!
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy
cmccaffrey

Postby caryn » Wed Dec 21, 2011 07:25 am

by caryn (10111 Posts), Wed Dec 21, 2011 07:25 am

"multifactorial polygenic inheritance" means you have to hit on a combination of genes in the mother and a combination of genes in the father. So say I had to have the genes for chronic hypertension plus an immune mediated condition, and DH had to have the genes for a slightly deranged implantation, and when you put all of those together, the phenotype expresses preeclampsia.
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby MissingMolly » Sat Jan 07, 2012 03:20 am

by MissingMolly (41 Posts), Sat Jan 07, 2012 03:20 am

So is this sort of like "the perfect storm" for preeclampsia? It seems very much to be a dynamic reaction between the two systems (maternal and paternal). Does that mean that, on some deep cellular level, my husband and I don't "like" each other?
:shock:
Mommy to Molly, who was born alive on Oct. 29, 2011 at 23+3 weeks due to severe pre-eclampsia/HELLP syndrome and passed away 3 hours later. Loved and missed every minute of every day...."If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever."
MissingMolly

Postby caryn » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:53 am

by caryn (10111 Posts), Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:53 am

On a deep cellular level none of us like each other. Everyone else is foreign and the immune system says ATTACK!

The odd thing about pregnancy is that his genes somehow manage to instruct us to dial that down, and we cooperate with him until we don't, any more. Which is what triggers labor. Except if we decide to trigger labor and get the kid out, but the placenta fights back because it isn't done cooking yet...

caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News