New/Reply FAQ Members Login

Preeclampsia Associated W/ Persistent Postpartum Cardiovascu

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

Re: Preeclampsia Associated W/ Persistent Postpartum Cardiov

Postby caryn » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:57 pm

It's asymptomatic, which means that whether or not your pressures are high, you have a kind of early heart failure. Whether or not that's something that should be screened for if you're asymptomatic and following proactive recommendations, I do not know.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby JScruggs19 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:37 pm

I went through HELLP with my son in November of 2010. Prior to my pregnancy I had always had heart palpitations, but I would get them just once in a while. A few months after his birth, after I was off the labetalol and nifedipine I was placed on, my heart palpitations returned, but instead of a few a year it was more like a few a month. So finally last month I saw a doctor about it. He did an EKG which was all normal except for my lack of a p-wave. So then I wore a heart monitor for several weeks and recorded my experiences. It seems I am experiencing inappropriate sinus tachycardia...the p-wave thing I am not so sure about...perhaps a junctional rhythm thing, but I don't have all the answers just yet. Anyways, I had not been connecting the HELLP with the tachycardia episodes until now, but I am thinking they are related. My blood pressure returned to normal completely, and yet I had to start on labetalol again to control the palpitations. The inappropriate sinus tachycardia doesn't seem to be anything terribly serious, fortunately, but I am not sure what it means about my health 10-20 years down the line. As I get more answers, I will let you know just in case it can help anyone with any questions they may have.
JScruggs19

Postby jean » Wed Mar 07, 2012 08:51 am

JScruggs-please do let us know!

I had an EKG after my first pg, but that turned out normal. Can a heart doctor do an x-ray of some sort to look at the left ventricle of the heart to see if it was affected?
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

http://findingtherainbowconnection.blogspot.com/
jean

Postby eleni » Thu Mar 29, 2012 06:41 pm

Turning up the temp a bit on this issue as we're working with several organizations and investigators to figure out how we should be counseling our preeclamptics for long term health (besides of course, our nifty patient education brochure which has gotten lots of thumbs up from experts)...

so my question is have any of you had your babies long enough ago (say more than 5 years ago) and are NOW dealing with any kind of heart health issues? Do you know anybody who fits the bill and perhaps does not have all those other lovely risk factors such as family history?
Eleni Z. Tsigas
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation

2x PE survivor; 29 week daughter died, 35 week IUGR son made it after 2 weeks of NICU fun; 3rd pregnancy PE-free resulted in strapping 8 pounder son, born at term.
eleni
Site Admin

Postby alviarin » Fri Mar 30, 2012 01:51 pm

My mother-in- law had preeclampsia with both her pregnancies (including my husband). Many years later she was diagnosed with chronic hypertension and hypothyroidism. She's not overweight but was a smoker for a long time which could have contributed, plus has a family history of heart disease. Her heart is ok though now she has regular checkups with a cardiologist.

My paternal grandmother had pre-e with my dad and late in life was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and lupus. ETA: She did pass away due to a heart attack/congestive heart failure- but not until she was bed bound due to illness plus it was 67 years after devloping "toxemia" and "jaundice" in her first pregnacy.

I became a chronic hypertensive after my second pregnancy five years ago. Seven years after my first bout of preeclampsia. I am overweight though and there is a family history of heart disease on my mothers side. My grandmother had hypothyroidism & congestive heart failure (even subclinical hypothyroidism can increase cardiovascular risk factors) and my grandfather was a chronic hypertensive for decades.
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby laura681 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 07:51 pm

I've been having persistent low BP and some chest tightness/twinges over the past 6 weeks and my PCP has ruled out Sheehan's syndrome and every other thing she could think of. Next stop for me is the cardiologist. I'm 35 and had HELLP with liver rupture at 32 weeks in 2008 and post-partum preeclampsia in 2011. I have no history of heart disease in my family and I don't fit the normal heart disease "profile" other than having low HDL.

Has anyone else experienced anything cardiac related a few years after having preeclampsia or HELLP? I know that I have a higher risk, but I'm having trouble finding anyone who has actually had heart disease.

Any tips on what to say when I meet with the cardiologist? I'm planning on giving him a full history of my pregnancies and taking a copy of the brochure that's here on the website. What should I ask/push for?
laura681

Postby meghanjs » Fri Aug 02, 2013 06:25 pm

My younger, female PCP sent me to cardiology after my OB did not. He (an older, wise ex NICU cardiologist) did three ECHOs on me over the year or so I saw him. The second one showed a very small PFO (which is in about 20% of the population), but we sort of decided to ignore it. However, we talked about the hypercoagulable state of pregnancy and how yes, clots can be thrown through the PFO, and if I already have an increased chance of stroke or MI in the next 8 years, that maybe we ought to be concerned if there would be a future pregnancy (undiagnosed pre-E at 26 weeks, delivered severe pre-E with liver enzyme bumps at 36 weeks). Fast forward to a bit over two years after delivery and about a year after stopping my post partum pre-E labetalol, and I had a hypertensive crisis. I took labetalol before I was able to get a call back from the on-call cardiologist (thankfully I held onto it, despite knowing I should clean my cabinets) for a week, saw him several more times and even had a stress test done. His plan if we choose to get pregnant again, was to see him at the end of the first trimester, but if we go the pregnancy route again, I will probably see him prior to pregnancy just to make sure we are on the right track. By the way, I am a runner who used to be 90/60 or less (ran 20 miles a week until the 26 weeks point that I got sick) and am again running longer distances (up to 10 miles at a time, but usually 4-7). My blood pressure - no meds - has now never been below 110/74, so my guess is that yes, the litmus test of pregnancy has shown me my true colors, and probably hurried along any damage that would have eventually been done. There is a maternal side family history of hypertension and MI and stroke, but no pre-E - however, I was by far the oldest to spit out a child - 35 compared to 29 I think. Also, I am pretty sure I had post partum pulmonary edema, but was too tired and still sick to even realize what was going on, so my left ventricle, although essentially fine on ECHO later, probably was also showing it was not happy.
meghanjs

Previous

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News