Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Have the health insurance laws changed?

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

Have the health insurance laws changed?

Postby dosorrow » Mon May 21, 2012 05:52 pm

by dosorrow (11 Posts), Mon May 21, 2012 05:52 pm

My husband was laid off four years ago and got a job where they didn't have company health insurance but they offered to pay for individual insurance for our family. Of course I was surprised when Blue Shield turned me down with a letter that told me that in order to be reconsidered I would have to have a normal healthy pregnancy first. When I called, even the agents on the phone were a little spooked by the letter's wording, but they confirmed it was because I took blood pressure medication a whole 3 weeks! during and right after my pregnancy. The only insurance I can find is high risk insurance with no pregnancy coverage and its pretty overpriced. At this point paying my doctor cash for check ups is cheaper. People keep insisting that the laws have changed and I should look into insurance again. Have they changed? I don't want to go through all that again unless I get results.
2008- Hypertension at 32 weeks, preeclampsia at 35 weeks, Induced at 36w3d after water broke. Zander 4 lbs9oz took home right away no need for NICU
2014- Hypertension at 24 weeks, preeclampsia 34 weeks, induced 38 weeks. Sabrina 6lbs 3oz healthy girl.
dosorrow

Re: Have the health insurance laws changed?

Postby sarah79 » Mon May 21, 2012 06:26 pm

by sarah79 (1 Posts), Mon May 21, 2012 06:26 pm

I'm not sure if anything has changed with the laws this year but I tried to get individual health insurance through BCBS at the beginning of 2011 and I was denied because I had preeclampsia in 2010. They said they had to cover pregnancy complications so I would not be able to get individual insurance with them until I had gone 5 years with no pregnancy complications.
sarah79

Postby caryn » Mon May 21, 2012 07:45 pm

by caryn (10110 Posts), Mon May 21, 2012 07:45 pm

Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Tue May 22, 2012 04:06 pm

by alviarin (1634 Posts), Tue May 22, 2012 04:06 pm

I was also turned down by private insurance, but my state has a high-risk pool for patients who have been denied individual coverage. It doesn't cover routine pregnancy but would cover things like an emergency c-section.

Ironically it is managed by the same insurer that turned me down originally.
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News