Outcomes after first preg. w/sPE + deliv. before 34 weeks

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

Re: Outcomes after first preg. w/sPE + deliv. before 34 week

Postby caryn » Sat Jan 26, 2013 01:01 pm

Trophoblast is *weird* so no one is really sure. It is difficult to research because it's adapted for an environment that's difficult to recreate in a lab (inside a uterus, in the lining, which is mostly natural killer immune cells from another individual) and we can't really go looking during a pregnancy. I've seen some studies showing persistent remodeling effects up to seven years postpartum and others (like this one) that suggest that the majority of the remodeling is gone by 2 years postpartum.

I wonder if some trophoblast are carrying genes that mean they persist longer, or their remodeling effects persist longer. I would like to know!
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby kaxy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:14 pm

So interesting. I conceived my daughter when I was around 16ish months postpartum, and had PE with both kids. I'm now expecting my 3rd, conceived when my daughter was 25m. I hope it'll improve my outcome somewhat! I've gotta have something positive here :)
DS born Dec. 2008 at 38.5w gestation. Mild PE diagnosed 3 hours before he was born
DD born Dec. 2010 at 40w1d. BP was slightly elevated since 37w, and climbed while in labor (started on my own). Severe PE diagnosed hours after DD born.
DD born Sept. 2013 at 38w. Induced (and I had to fight for it!) due to high blood pressure. No protein, but had brisk reflexes and clonus after delivery. Doc gave me a mild preeclampsia diagnosis anyway and said I'm likely to be a chronic hypertensive later in life.
kaxy

Postby luizaiulia » Fri Mar 01, 2013 09:39 am

jean » Lost my son also at 36 weeks due to PE, 10 days ago. My hart is broken. What is LDA? >>You wrote :

{Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!}
luizaiulia

Postby caryn » Mon Mar 04, 2013 04:36 pm

Welcome. I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your son to this brutal disease.

LDA is low-dose aspirin. There are some meta-analyses of research data that suggest it might lower risk slightly; there are some trials that suggest that it does not, except maybe in a small subset of women who could not be identified from the studies. In any case it does not harm (or at least no harm showed up in the very large trials that were conducted.)
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News