Mild & sPE a in asympt. preg. w/ cell-free fetal DNA

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

Mild & sPE a in asympt. preg. w/ cell-free fetal DNA

Postby caryn » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:22 am

"Women with cffDNA levels below the 5th percentile and above the 90th percentile quantified at 25 weeks' gestation are at increased risk of developing preeclampsia."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23320950

So, this is more of the targeting problem! Cell-free fetal DNA is broken-down trophoblastic cells from the placenta that are present in the plasma of pregnant women, and a bloodwork draw can provide enough to analyze not just the levels that are present, but also the DNA. The tests now on the market that allow identification of trisomies without amniocentesis or CVS, and that let us confirm fetal sex? Those tests are also using cell-free fetal DNA.

This study says that if cell-free fetal DNA levels were in the tails of the bell curve - if the number was in the bottom 5% or the top 90% of the distribution - your risk of preeclampsia was much increased. For high levels of fetal DNA, risk of severe preeclampsia was over 8x normal. For low levels of fetal DNA risk of mild preeclampsia was over 3x normal. And this goes back to what I said in this thread yesterday, because it really does seem to be a targeting issue. If the placenta implants to an average depth, you have an average amount of trophoblast, but if it implants less well than it should or more well than it should, you're a preeclampsia risk.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re: Mild & sPE a in asympt. preg. w/ cell-free fetal DNA

Postby angieb » Tue Jan 22, 2013 08:54 am

Interesting!

I have a friend who had this test done several months ago. Would that sort of thing show up in the results or was it just noted for this study? (She has a strong family history of pre-eclampsia and lost her first baby at 26 wks, unexplained stillbirth mostly but they think maybe clots.)
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News