Aspirin - Can it really prevent preeclampsia?

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

Aspirin - Can it really prevent preeclampsia?

Postby eleni » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:13 pm

Did you read this recent article we posted on this topic?
http://www.preeclampsia.org/women-encou ... -providers

Even though low dose aspirin (LDA) has been used and debated for years, it caught a boatload of recent attention because the US Preventive Services Task Force gave it their thumbs up.

What do you think? Did it work for you? Have other ideas about what causes or prevents it? Feel free to share your ideas here.

For me personally, I took baby aspirin during my second pregnancy after a catastrophic first pregnancy. I managed to get about 4 weeks further along before the PE Monster struck again. So did it work? I suppose "yes" if you consider the benefits of more time in the womb, but it didn't 'prevent' it.
Eleni Z. Tsigas
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation

2x PE survivor; 29 week daughter died, 35 week IUGR son made it after 2 weeks of NICU fun; 3rd pregnancy PE-free resulted in strapping 8 pounder son, born at term.
eleni
Site Admin

Re: Aspirin - Can it really prevent preeclampsia?

Postby jenh » Sat Apr 19, 2014 01:31 pm

I took LDA in my most recent pregnancy after having PE twice before. It did not stop PE in my case, and I even developed it earlier (although that's due to carrying twins vs singles). BUT where I am convinced it helped me is that my twins were both normal sized for gestational age where my singles were mildly IUGR. I believe having thinner blood meant more nutrients got to and through the placenta to keep my babies growing. I intend to take it again if I'm blessed with another child.
Jen
Wife to Brett 6/30/02
Mom to Ethne Joy 10/12/03, 35 weeks, severe PE
Mom to Catie Grace 12/8/06, 37 weeks, mild PE
Mom to Riley Faith and Gavin Arthur 7/7/09, 36 weeks, PIH 22 weeks, PE 31 weeks, severe post partum PE
Mom to two angels 12/05 and 7/08
Running a Marathon for the PF: http://www.whatyourunningfor.blogspot.com
jenh

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News