New to this site too

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
crystal.t.

Re : New to this site too

Postby crystal.t. » Sun Jul 17, 2005 02:30 pm

Thank you Kris for your thoughts. I, like you do not have any underlying issues that would have cause what happened before. I will keep you in my prayers and hope that we both have a +++ soon. Crystal

kdreher

Postby kdreher » Sun Jul 17, 2005 08:20 am

Welcome Crystal
This site is one of the main reasons that dh and I decided to have my tubes untied so we could ttc w/o adoption, etc. Granted I lost Tyler 10 yrs ago and my dh is not Tyler's father so he has no clue as to what I went through. I had a sudden onset of eclampsia at 26 weeks - had two seizures, emergency c/section, blood transfusion, etc. I am lucky I am alive and didn't progress further or have any long term effects. I don't think you are crazy at all for wanting to have another. Many of us her know that feeling. I met with a new OB who had PE experience and a peri (this group studies PE) and after getting some baseline testing done I have no underling issues but know how both my peri and OB will there with me every step. As Julie said, empower yourself with knowledge of PE and what you are dealing with. Involve your partner/dh through it all so he knows what is happening as well. We wish you all the best..keep us posted.

denise

Postby denise » Sun Jul 17, 2005 01:34 am

Welcome Crystal! I hope you can share your + with us soon!

crystal.t.

Postby crystal.t. » Fri Jul 15, 2005 08:23 pm

This has been the first site that I have found that has all the info about PE that I could ever need to know. Usually I have had to search all over the internet to find out half of what I have seen so far. Thank you all for the warm welcome. I will keep you posted on wheter we get a ++ or a --. I am going back to work for the first time in 8 months, so that should be interesting.

akemt

Postby akemt » Fri Jul 15, 2005 07:43 pm

Crystal, I want to add my welcome as well! I too can't really add to what Julie has said, but want to wish you the best of luck both with ttcing and with an upcoming pregnancy,

angelkat

Postby angelkat » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:16 pm

Welcome to the forum... I think Julie covered it all...

Good luck to you

julie f

Postby julie f » Thu Jul 14, 2005 09:36 pm

Crystal, hi and welcome!! I am so happy to hear that both you and your son are doing so well!

I don't think you're crazy for wanting to try again. Not at all. After we lost my son, the only thing I wanted to do was be pregnant again.

My best advice to you would be to learn as much as you can about this disease, and to meet with a high-risk OB for a preconception consult. Meet with more than one if you need to! My Dh and I met with three different high-risks before we found one that we certain comfortable would do everything possible to give us the best outcome. The reason for meeting prepregnancy is that they will likely test you for several underlying disorders that can increase your risk of a repeat preeclampsia. It also gives you a good idea about how they will manage your care should problems arise.

Here is what our Experts say about recurrence rates: http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=331

Again, welcome! I look forward to getting to know you!

tanya

Postby tanya » Thu Jul 14, 2005 09:34 pm

Hello Crystal and welcome to the forums. It sound as though you had quite a difficult time with your first pregnancy. I didn't have any of the complications to the extent of yours but TTC again is a difficult decision for anyone, much less someone who has had stressful pregnancies before. There isn't a guarantee of course that the same thing won't happen to you again, but I myself believe in miracles as do many of us here on the boards. Good luck to you in your TTC attempts. Hope you are able to get a +++ very soon.[;)]

crystal.t.

New to this site too

Postby crystal.t. » Thu Jul 14, 2005 09:23 pm

Hi, My name is Crystal and I am a 26 year old mother of a handsome 3 year old boy. I had quite the rollercoaster with having him. I delivered my son at 29 1/2 weeks due to severe eclampsia. He weighed 2lbs 14 oz and was 14 1/2 in long. Believe it or not, he was perfect and had no problems and still does not. Me on the other hand, I gave the doctors a run for their money.

It all started on a Wednesday, at work I started having blurry vision. Two days prior I had a check up at the OB and had perfect blood pressure and no protien in the urine. Went to the doctor and my blood pressure had went way up and I was spilling protien into the urine. They checked me into the hosptial immediatley and began giving me mag sulfate, nasty medicine, but my pressure kept going up and up. Finally, Sunday morning I started going into labor. With no progress and a BP of 210/111 they did an emergency c-section. Robert was perfect and the doctors figured that delivery would probably cure the eclampsia. 24 hours after I delivered, they took me off of the mag and the anti seizure meds and what did I do, I had a grandmaul seizre, a small stroke, swelling of the brain and stopped breathing. My doctors had never had a patient do this on them, so it took them by surprise. I had to remain on BP and anti seizure meds for 6 months after the birth, and now I am find. I still have some memory problems from having a stroke, but I am fine now.

You would think I am crazy to want another baby, but we are trying. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar situation like mine and did the doctors advise having another child. My doctors say I only have a 5-10% chance of this happening again. Anyone have any thoughts or info? Thanks and Sorry this was so long. Crystal

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”