the courage to go through this again...

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
julie f

Re : the courage to go through this again...

Postby julie f » Tue Apr 11, 637352 12:48 am

Jennifer,

Hi and welcome! Trying again is SOOO scary, we can all relate to that. You will find a wealth of information and experience here, as well as many supportive shoulders to lean on. I would not have made it through the last two years without the women here.

I have to second Melissa's suggestion of getting a preconception consult with a high-risk. My Dh and I met with three different ones before we found one we were very comfortable with, he was an absolute blessing.

I look forward to getting to know you as you take this journey!

jen44

Postby jen44 » Sat Apr 01, 637352 11:48 pm

Thanks, ladies for your supportive words.

I know we have to try this again, I have been seeing a naturopath to deal with my diet and vitamin deficiencies because I had severe anemia during my pregnancy and I was never told to take any kind of iron or nutritional supplement like materna by any doctors during my pregnancy until I was in the hospital... isn't that strange? Looking back I was so niave I had no idea how important that is, plus I have read that there may be a link between iron deficiency and preeclampisa. Of course there are a lot of theories out there. I am almost more afraid of developing the anxiety / panic attacks again actually, that part was even harder because I had this tiny baby to take care of and I was a total mess, I couldn't breastfeed because I couldn't eat and I was weak and then of course the c-section recovery was difficult - I was so lucky to have my mom and husband to help me. This next time I desperately want to breastfeed the baby and develop the bond I feel I missed out on last time.

Ah, so much to worry about!

kdreher

Postby kdreher » Sat Apr 01, 637352 9:33 pm

HI Jennifer,
I can relate to how you feel as well. I lost Tyler 10 yrs ago and hubby and I have been TTCing since last year. I met with a new OB and a peri before we considered TTC to find out if I had any underlying disorders and to find out how we would be treated. I'm still very scared, but thrilled that I found great docs to go through this with me. I couldn't bear to loose another baby, but in my heart I know I have to try.

You will find such love and support here - we truly know how you feel. Keep us posted on what your plans are.

froggie89

Postby froggie89 » Sat Apr 01, 637352 7:15 pm

Hi Jennifer!

Welcome! I can understand your feelings of being scared to try again. My DH and I are going to ttc in September (or late August - I can't wait anymore!!). But I'm scared to death - my pe was really bad - when I got to the hospital for observation my bp was 230/135. I didn't have any seizures or anything and my doc has told me I'm lucky to be alive (supposedly my bp went higher at some point). So knowing that, I'm terrified. And I'm scared that we will lose our baby again. But I'm taking a leap of faith since I can't imagine going through life not having tried one more time. I don't want to be 85 wondering what if.

This forum is wonderful and so are all the ladies. Everyone is great with advice and support. I'm so thankful that I found this - especially since we're ttc.

I'll keep you in my prayers and good luck!

sam
Mom to Alexander, 3/21/05-3/21/05, severe pe

melissam

Postby melissam » Fri Mar 31, 637352 1:04 am

Jennifer,

Welcome. There are so many of us that know exactly what you are feeling. I am about to begin my TTC journey. I am scared to death just as you are. There is nothing wrong with being obsessed to find out the information on this disease...it is actually a good thing. However, you do need to be careful in gaining too much info. There are a lot of scary things that do happen. That doesn't mean that it WILL happen. Have you had a pre-conception consultation yet? I would certainly take the time to meet with a Perinatologist (high risk OB) and work out a game plan. Have they tested you for any underlying disorders?

If and when you begin your TTC journey, we will all be here to help and support you in any way that we can. Please come by anytime and ask questions. Everyone here is great.

kjones

Postby kjones » Thu Mar 30, 637352 10:41 am

Jennifer, Welcome glad you found us!! Well, I can say this. Do not let such deadly disease control the desires of your heart. I am two time survivor. Was put on complete bedrest at 5 months this last one, and was put in the hospital at 6 months until I delivered at 8 months. The favor you have going in your way, is that you can get well educated, and be prepared for whatever circumstance that arises. You have a huge support group here, and we will stick by your side through it all when you are ready!! I hate to see anyone give up a chance to have more children when they so desperately desire one. I wish you the best of luck. I will keep you in my thoughts, & prayers!! Keep us posted...

jen44

the courage to go through this again...

Postby jen44 » Thu Mar 30, 637352 9:08 am

Hello everyone, this is my first post as a new member. I feel like I have so much in common with all of you as we have all shared the challenging pregnancy experience of preeclampsia. My son is 17 months old today and he is the greatest blessing of my life. I spent four months on bedrest with PIH, and one month in the hospital until I was given a c-section at 36 weeks. It was the most traumatic experience of my life -- I am an anxious person by nature and those months were so scary for me and my husband, not knowing if my baby and I would make it out alive much less healthy. Luckily and by the grace of God, we did - and I thank God for this every day.

So now it's about that time that most families consider conceiving their second child, but I'm so afraid of what is to come for me. I developed a serious case of post-partum anxiety immediately after delivering Luka and I'm better now thanks to medication which I am in the process of stopping so that I can get pregnant again.

I've become obsessed with researching and learning all I can about this disease, weighing the pros and cons of tackling another pregnancy. I read all of your stories here and realize how lucky I am and my son is to have survived -- it could have been much worse.

I guess what I am struggling with is finding the courage to go through another pregnancy with the likelihood that I will develop the same problems, and what if the outcome isn't as good next time. I want a brother or sister for Luka and my husband and I desperately want another child. We are in discussions right now about TTC again, but I can tell he is worried and knows how difficult last time was on us, and now we've got a toddler to take care of at the same time. That's a lot of pressure on a husband to take care of both of us if I'm on bedrest again. I feel kind of guilty for how much he will have to deal with if it comes to that again.

Any advice out there? Words of wisdom?

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”