metformin?

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
mikeys mom

Re : metformin?

Postby mikeys mom » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:46 am

The first time I did 500 for one week 1000 the next week 1500 the next week attempted 2000 the next but got too sick so went back to 1500 for a week then to 2000. The second time I did 250 for 3 days 500 for 3 days 750 for 3 days 1000 for 3 days etc. I stayed away from ALL greesy foods and this helped greatly with the nausea. Let me know if you have any questions.

jaymee444

Postby jaymee444 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:01 am

I am starting out on 500 for the first week then if I can tolerate it 1000..

taras mom

Postby taras mom » Tue Dec 06, 2005 04:29 am

2000 mg? I guess I'm at the low-dose end of the spectrum. Shannon, did you start out at 2000 mg, or did they increase your dosage gradually?

mikeys mom

Postby mikeys mom » Mon Dec 05, 2005 03:12 pm

HORRIBLE Diarreah but it is soooo worth it.

I got pregnant on 2000 mgs of metformin in two months with Mikey and 1 month with Phillip... Before that I did not ovulate either times for many many years.

heather h

Postby heather h » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:45 am

MY OB referred me to an endocrinologist to be put on metformin but the Endo put me on regular thyroid medication.. She told me also that the metform would help me ovulate. I never got there though.. my endo is not the brightest of the bunch... She did mention though in future pregnancies (if we go that route) that she would also put me on the metformin. (i dont have diabetis either).

Good luck,

cindync

Postby cindync » Sun Dec 04, 2005 05:26 am

I was put it on it last year, another name for it is glucophage, after being diagnoies PCOS. I was not trying to get pregnant, but I was trying to get the horomones under control and the insulin under control with it, cause he said I was insulin resisitant, or something like that. I guess I produce too much insulin and my body does not know what to do with so stores it as fat. Lovely. It was some theory like that, made sense at the time. I gues it is darn near impossible to lose weight with PCOS.

Anyway, I was on it for 6 weeks, and ended up witha surprise pregnancy! Both my OB and Endocrinologist said it was more than likely due to the metformin. Because it would have regulated everything. NOw the doctor did tell me that there was risk of pregnancy, but I blew it off because we had tried for 2 years and did IF treatments for 5 months, and ultimalty adopted. So why would a 20 dollar prescription do it????

I was not on it long enough for any weight loss. But supposedly in my case with the PCOS, it would help. I ahd some things tested last week, and am waiting for the results to see if I should go back on.

rebecca

Postby rebecca » Sat Dec 03, 2005 05:06 pm

My friend was put on it and it was the only thing that finally enabled her to ovulate normally on her own and she was pregnant within 3 months of it -- after 6 years of infertility treatments.

sjs40

Postby sjs40 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 02:37 pm

Its an insulin sensitiser used a lot with pcos. I was on it for just over a month before conceiving the baby I lost recently. I was ovulating beforehand but they felt that Metformin might help with a stronger ovulation - it seems like it did the trick for me! The diahorrea can be awful if you eat the 'wrong' things, the problem is that everybody has a different reaction to different things. One of my triggers was lettuce - healthy stuff, but not for me on Metformin lol. I was taken off it when I developed GD and was put on insulin instead. I have been losing weight since becoming pregnant and it is still going somewhere since the miscarriage. Maybe the Metformin started something happening there , I don't know!

taras mom

Postby taras mom » Sat Dec 03, 2005 05:30 am

It isn't really a fertility drug, and I'm surprised at how often it's prescribed for that. I haven't ovulated or lost weight on it, but she's right about the diarrhea! I hope it works for you.

lucy

Postby lucy » Sat Dec 03, 2005 01:53 am

I hadnt heard about it, but I wouldnt mind the losing weight part of it[:D] if I ever need that, I will have to keep that in mind. Good luck.

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”