Desperate for advice.

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
User avatar
julie f
Registered User
Posts: 7993
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 636721 2:40 am

Re : Desperate for advice.

Postby julie f » Sun May 27, 637668 2:58 am


I wanted to say hi and welcome as well.

I wanted to second what the other ladies have said - my best piece of advice would be to meet with a high-risk OB for a consult. If you've never been tested for the underlying disorders that can be associated with an increased risk of preeclampsia, they will likely get that done. They might also be able to look at your case from a new or more experienced opinion and might have a different idea of what you future pregnancies may hold.

Once you have all the facts, then you might feel more at peace with your decision - whether it's to have more children or not.

Here is a link to the International Society for the Study of Hypertension in Pregnancy's website: You might be able to find a local high-risk OB that specializes in hypertension in pregnancy.

I wish you the very best, please don't hesitate to let us know how we can help.

I just wish we had a crystal ball...[8]!

Registered User
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 637038 3:59 pm

Re : Desperate for advice.

Postby nicoleharrison » Thu May 17, 637668 3:54 pm

Do you see a perinatologist? If not, I think that's step one. Get another opinion and run all the appropriate tests for a high risk patient such as yourself. I delivered at 26 weeks last time and this time I am already at 32 weeks and am PE free. I am taking different meds, suppliments and am injected with lovenox twice per day. I think everyone's different and a second opinion will make you feel more confident to move forward knowing you made the right decision. Good luck to you!

Registered User
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 637665 1:52 pm

Re : Desperate for advice.

Postby smitty1212 » Sun May 06, 637668 1:53 am

Lucy - did you ever have any labwork done? Was anything ever said about you having HELLP along with the PE? HELLP definately effects your liver functions. I agree with Paige - if you really want another one, go talk to a high risk doc. He/she would hopefully work with you to try and figure out what is behind your particular case.

Registered User
Posts: 741
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 637348 9:55 pm

Re : Desperate for advice.

Postby paige_va » Fri May 04, 637668 4:25 pm

I've never heard of PE without BP issues, either. Usually, high BP is one of the criteria for diagnosis. What were your BP's running while you were hospitalized? I completely understand your desire to have more children. That's why most of us are posting on this board. After my DD was born, I told my DH that I couldn't even fathom thinking about having any more children. Just felt like it wasn't worth it to play with fire the way we did. That lasted for about a year, and now that DD is getting ready to turn 1, we're trying again. Sorry I can't really give you any answers or any advice, other than if you're serious, seek out another opinion from a high risk OB. I wish you all the best! It's a tough decision.

Registered User
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri May 04, 637668 2:19 pm

Desperate for advice.

Postby lucy21 » Fri May 04, 637668 4:10 pm

I am new here and really, really need some advice.
I am from Australia and have three beautiful children who were all affected by PE. DD was born in 1999 at 35 weeks gestation, DS born 2001 at 34 weeks gestation and DS2 born 30 weeks in 2003.
My last preganancy I was hospitalised from 23 weeks and lasted until 30 when Bub stopped growing and was delivered. He suffered the usual premmie problems, but he is really great now.
Following my third baby I was told (not recommended) not to have any more babies as the risk was too high. That was three and a half years ago and every single day I think constantly about having another baby - I desperately want more children. (My DH and I both said we would keep having kids for ever..... if only we could!!!!).
My problem is that my PE was a-typical and my BP was not a huge issue... the main concern was my liver and kidney function and horrible headaches, baby not growing etc.
I have been able to find out VERY little about what happened to me and can't find documented cases of PE with no BP issues !!!!!!
I have researched and researched and figure I have a few things up my sleeve.... I am still young enough (31), have lost weight and got really fit since other pregnancies, didn't try asprin or heparin the last 3 times.
Please help me and give me ANY advise that you think could help me.
Thank you so much... sorry its so long !
Love Lucy.

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests