Post Reply FAQ Members Login

ANA level

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

ANA level

Postby jennylynn » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:33 am

by jennylynn (50 Posts), Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:33 am

I wonder if anyone can answer this question? When I was thirteen years old I had an unexplained rash and the doctors ran all kinds of tests on me. The only thing out of the ordinary they discovered was an elevated ANA level. The doctors told me that an increased ANA level could be a sign of an autoimmune disorder such as Rheumatiod arthritis or lupus. They tested my blood every six months for many years. Nothing ever came of it. When I was eighteen I quit being tested. I had preeclampsia with my first baby. I mentioned my elevated ANA level to my peri but he seemed uninterested. I have read that preeclampsia can be linked to autoimmune disorders. Should I look into this more in depth before I try to conceive my second child or just not worry about it?
jennylynn

Re : ANA level

Postby mada » Tue Sep 05, 2006 01:54 pm

by mada (4081 Posts), Tue Sep 05, 2006 01:54 pm

I would defenitley get it rechecked again. With a histry of an elevated ANA level and the fact that you had a rash...(where was it?) could be an issue for you. Lupus can present itself with a rash over the cheeks for sure. I think that if you want to ttc again, it would be good to get worked up anyway as you have a history of pre-e. Goodluck!!!
mada

Postby jennylynn » Tue Sep 05, 2006 02:36 pm

by jennylynn (50 Posts), Tue Sep 05, 2006 02:36 pm

Thanks for the advice. Yes, the rash was on my face but that was 14 years ago. How hard should I push if I use the same peri again and he brushes it off again?
jennylynn

Postby mada » Tue Sep 05, 2006 06:13 pm

by mada (4081 Posts), Tue Sep 05, 2006 06:13 pm

I donot think there is any harm in asking to have soem tests to find out if you indeed do have an underlying disorder that is contributing to your preeclampsia. Try to have a nice talk with your doc, voice your concerns and how important they are and I would hope that being a peri, he would be intersted to find out if there is an issue. Sometimes we have to be our own advocates about the kind of treatment we will get...kwim? Hopefully he will be receptive.....take care, let us know what happens!!
mada

Postby misskris8696 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 08:37 pm

by misskris8696 (38 Posts), Tue Sep 05, 2006 08:37 pm

Jenny, Definitely retest. It never hurts to have more up-to-date info. You need to be certain that they titer the level. I have a positive low titer ana. The rheumatologist said that I was one of 20% of women that walk around like this with no autoimmune disorder. He also said that for the rest of my life we will watch for signs of a disorder developing. He also added that it had no effect on my pregnancy.
~Kristen
misskris8696

Postby julie f » Mon Sep 11, 2006 02:28 am

by julie f (7993 Posts), Mon Sep 11, 2006 02:28 am

Jenny,

I would definitely retest as well.

The fact of the matter is that autoimmune disorders such as lupus or RA do put you at an increased risk of preeclampsia. So, if something has changed with your ANA level - you want to know about it 1. for the pregnancy and 2. for your health.

My test results have always come back fine and yet my peri still tells me that he won't be surprised if 20 years down the road, something emerges that explains why I might have gotten this disease.

I would really encourage a retest, if you're not comfortable asking your peri for it then I'd ask your PCP. Depending upon the results then I think you'll need to sit down and have a talk with your peri. If you don't feel like you're getting the care that you deserve, it never hurts for a 2nd opinion.

Let us know what you find out.
julie f

Postby timelessbeauty » Mon Sep 11, 2006 08:30 am

by timelessbeauty (1712 Posts), Mon Sep 11, 2006 08:30 am

The rash on your face could have been Discoid Lupus but I'm not saying it was. I have just recently been reading about Lupus and some people even get a negative ANA reading but it will be a lower Titer result versus Systemic Lupus (the more serious kind). Having a repeat ANA test is one thing you can do. http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/ana/test.html#what

This is a link I found that talks about what ANA test results could mean. Good luck in your findings!
timelessbeauty

Postby bonnie » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:50 am

by bonnie (1096 Posts), Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:50 am

Autoimmune diseases such as SLE, RA and a host of other diseases, have been linked to having PE.

It is very possible to have a + ANA and not have SLE, RA or any other autoimmune disease. However, it is unlikely that if you have SLE that you have a -ANA.

ANA levels (titers) do change over time (as a result of pregnancy, stress and life in general). I have my "levels" checked quite regularly to help check on the disease activity.

In regards to Discoid Lupus, you generally do NOT have a +ANA since it is NOT systemic.

I hope that this is helpful.
bonnie
Forum Moderator

Postby jennylynn » Mon Sep 11, 2006 02:56 pm

by jennylynn (50 Posts), Mon Sep 11, 2006 02:56 pm

I appreciate everyone's input and will be getting it checked out before TTC #2. I hadn't really thought about my ANA level in years until I started reading about autoimmune disorders here. This is such a great website to have handy!
jennylynn

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia