Went to my pre-conception appointment this week

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
shannons

Re : Went to my pre-conception appointment this week

Postby shannons » Fri Aug 05, 637966 10:47 pm

Oligo is short for oligohydramnios. Dorland's Medical Dictionary says this:

[oligo- + Gr. hydor water + amnion] the presence of less than the normal amount of amniotic fluid; defined as 500 ml or less at term and smaller amounts at ealier gestational ages.

From my medical knowledge, it means there's not as much room for baby to move, can cause stress on the baby and also there's not as much cushion and lubricant for movement and/or bumps from outside. The main thing they worry about is the physical stress it puts on the baby.

*Note - I'm not a doctor. The info I have comes from years of transcribing medical reports.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Tue Jul 26, 637966 1:05 pm

Hey, Cara. Definitely stick it out with your OB since you were so pleased with your care with them; mine weren't so hot. Oligo is too little amniotic fluid. Here's a link to the March of Dimes page on it:

http://www.marchofdimes.com/pnhec/188_1033.asp

I know I've seen quite a few people here who were dxed with it, so maybe try searching using the search tool if the link above doesn't tell you enough.

BTW If I recall correctly, you live sort of near me (by sort of, I'm thinking an hour max). If that's the case, I can give you the names of some peris/MFM docs in my area who could consult. Email me if you want them! Best wishes!

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Tue Jul 26, 637966 10:10 am

I was going to say to try and make a switch. I saw my obgyn regularly for months after having Sara for period issues/endometriosis. It was high for about 7-8 months. It is normal in there now as I have gotten used to a climate where I was threatened with going to the local children's hospital every week. But even though I love my ob, I still start sweating and getting sick to my stomach when I park in the parking lot. It gets worse as I go into the office and the"hospital smell" hits. Same thing with the hospital. Ihave to go for my annual exam on Feb 8th. Already I am freaking out about it.

crogers

Postby crogers » Tue Jul 26, 637966 7:10 am

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I'm better now...but just had to vent to people who would understand.[;)]

Mamajett- good suggestion- I just do not know if there are any other high risk Drs near where I live. I'll have to research this out. I will stick with my normal OB- he is amazing and I trust him.

On a side note- got my hospital records this week (all 110 pages of them- and I had to pay for them too!!)- and found out that they put in my chart I had mild oligo. Does anyone know what that is?

shannons

Postby shannons » Sat Jul 16, 637966 5:12 am

Anyone would have been grumbling after an appt. like that one! Whew! I had a wait that long once and then when I finally went to the desk to see what was taking so long, they had somehow skimmed over my appt. and forgot to call my name and skipped me! Some docs will tell you that whitecoat hypertension can only affect the systolic (first number), but that the diastolic (second number) should stay the same. Not true for me certainly as both my numbers move around all over the place if I'm nervous. If they would just let me sit for a few minutes and talk for a couple of minutes and get some of the other info first, my BP would be better in their office, but no, they want to take it just as soon as I can get in the chair and my sleeve up. I've taken to asking them if I can sit for about five minutes before they take my BP. Sometimes I get a funny look, but I usually get my way because they're not used to being asked that and don't know what to say. Maybe that would help you too, I don't know, but it couldn't hurt. I also keep a BP log for at least a week before I go in and take it with me for proof.

On the kidney ultrasound, I did have to have one after my pregnancy and the nephrologist said that one of my renal arteries was "narrow". He didn't say whether it was congenital or whether it was strictured or whether it was blockage (though I would think not the latter because I was 20 years old). He said that it was minimal, but that he would want to check it in a year. He also told me that unless it was narrowed by 30% or greater, they wouldn't do anything, but for 30% or more, they could place a stent. It can be worth getting checked out for those whose BP stays up after PE. My BP had always run good to okay before my pregnancy and only after PE did it consistently run high. Unfortunately, by the time a year was up, we had moved and didn't have insurance or access to the same doctor and I just never had the followup ultrasound.

I hope you can make some sense out of it all and either get your doc on the same page as yourself or get one you're happier with.

heather100

Postby heather100 » Sat Jul 16, 637966 1:48 am

I also would say maybe you could change docs. I switched after Paige was born as I was unhappy with how they treated me while I had pre-e.

As far as the records, at least here, you pretty much have to call the hospital to get your own records. I just did that this week and will give them myself to my peri. The fun part is I get to pay for them! But, if it helps my next pregnancy, that's fine by me.

Good luck deciding. I would've also been very frustrated with an appt like that.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Fri Jul 15, 637966 1:24 pm

Cara,
How would you feel about making a clean break? I'm only asking because I knew that I couldn't handle (emotionally, psychologically, etc.) seeing ANY physician directly involved in my first pregnancy for my second one. My OBs were wacko, so I wouldn't dream of seeing them again - I made that break after my 6 week follow-up. As for the peri who "consulted," I thought he did a decent job, but he did, afterall, return me to the more than lacking care of my OBs. That said, I thought it was critical to find a whole new batch of doctors. I did that, and I am VERY satisfied with both my OB and peri. I had the same issues, if I walked into their (the former docs) office tomorrow, I KNOW without a doubt, my pressures would react even though I haven't had a high read since 2004. Maybe you need to start fresh? Try as best you can (yeah, right?) to wipe the slate clean. As for not having records, I would have been upset, too. It would be very disappointing to leave with no more knowledge than you had going in. I'm sorry that happened after the stress of getting there. On the bright side, you've already started the bloodwork so you'll know for sure if anything else is going on with you - and you can take it with you to the next appointment, should you decide to make another one. Hugs to you for getting through a rough day!

mommy1st

Postby mommy1st » Fri Jul 15, 637966 12:47 pm

Cara,
Sorry to hear that your appointment didn't go as you had planned. I hope this won't discourage you from TTC again. I hope everything turns out all right and that you have a short TTC journey!!
Best of luck to you!!!

paige_va

Postby paige_va » Fri Jul 15, 637966 12:38 pm

Cara,
Sorry to hear that your appointment wasn't all you had hoped. I know how frustrating it can be to get low readings at home and high at the doctor's or vice versa. My OB had me do a kidney ultrasound, too. He said that in some women, the blood flow to the kidneys is insufficient, and that this can cause secondary hypertension. This is apparently a correctable condition. Unfortunately, my hypertension turned out to be chronic. I hope your bp behaves itself from here on out.

lalam17

Postby lalam17 » Fri Jul 15, 637966 10:38 am

I hope that you don't let one little BP measurement ruin your day. My whole life I have had BPs of less than 110/60...until I developed PE. After I loss the baby, my BP went back to normal within 4 weeks-as long as I wasn't having it taken in my OB's office. It seems that I (and maybe you) have developed a good case of whitecoat hypertension. I take my BP regularly at home, and it is nice and low. Luckily, my doctors are all coworkers of mine, and trust me when I tell them it is normal everywhere else. We all get a good laugh out of it. Also, don't worry about all the tests they are running on you. YOu are lucky that your OB is doing a complete workup. This way, he will have all the knowledge possible to answer your questions in the future, and give you the best chance at a successful pregnancy.

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”