How long to wait before TTC again?

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
for faith

Re : How long to wait before TTC again?

Postby for faith » Fri Jan 16, 637976 12:45 pm

Jen - Wishing you the best. Glad to hear you are seeing a peri, hope it goes well. I had severe PE with my daughter (on mag 5 days, kidney/liver issues too) and a bikini cut c-section. I got recommendations of 6 months from my OB, really just for the c-section healing, no one mentioned about any issue with PE, even the peri. I had all the testing done and met with a peri before trying again (I got pregnant 8 months after Faith was born). Take care.

jennobili

Postby jennobili » Fri Jan 16, 637976 7:00 am

Well, I went for my 6 week postpartum visit yesterday, with the OB who works in the peri's office. I asked her, and she advised waiting a year. I did find out that I had the bikini cut c-section, not classical. I am waiting for my medical records from the hospital right now, which will have the lab values on the 24 hr urine that was done in the hospital. I still don't know what I had Pre-E or PIH.... all my nurses kept saying PIH, the peri had used the term toxemia. I picked up records from my regular medical group yesterday, which included some of my OB stuff, my internal med stuff and my endocrinologist stuff. In the OB records I got was a report the OB had done after seeing me in the ER. He used the term severe preeclampsia, and somewhere in that note, was a mention of a urine sample being a 4+.

Getting ready to see the peri, appt is in less than 2 weeks.

tara_baer

Postby tara_baer » Wed Dec 24, 637975 8:31 pm

We are also looking at trying again, our little man is 5 months old and doing wonderful. Our OBGYNs seem to waver between 6 months and 1 year (depending on who you get). I am at the top of my game (or should I say gain) weight wise, and was wondering if anyone had been advised on losing weight before trying again, if there was any link. As time goes on I am more and more nervous about getting pregnant.

Also, during my pregnancy, I had a very hard time gaining weight, right from the beginning. I was eating well but was not putting on any weight. I thought I was doing well as I was told to gain only 15 lbs, but I started to worry when I was 5 months along, and had only gained 5 lbs.

michellelhuston

Postby michellelhuston » Fri Dec 12, 637975 7:09 am

I had a classical c-section with my son at 24 wks 1 day. After I had him, I developed a blood clot in my leg and was on coumadin for 6 months. So we were advised to try till I was off of the medication. We then started to try again in July. Almost 1 year after we had Tyler. We finally got pregnant in January! Good luck to you! Please keep us posted!

sreeve

Postby sreeve » Thu Dec 11, 637975 10:05 am

Just to give you another perspective, my ob gave me the go-ahead after 4 1/2 months after losing my daughter. I had a classical c-section, and my doctor would have preferred that we wait 9-12 months, but he could tell that we just couldn't wait that long. I hope you get the answers you are looking for.

jennobili

Postby jennobili » Sat Nov 08, 637975 3:43 pm

Well, the referral got approved and I am scheduled to see the peri on April 25. That will be 10 1/2 weeks since Danielle's birth. I am very curious to see what he says.

annes
Forum Moderator

Postby annes » Mon Sep 22, 637975 5:28 am

With Parker I had a c-section (bikini cut) and doc said to wait for 6 mths (no Problem). With Griffin I had a classical c-section, so doc said at least 6 months, a year would be better. It has been over a year now and I am still not ready to try, because I have been losing weight and have another health problem I am dealing with. It will probably be more like 2 years for us. Good Luck.

jennobili

Postby jennobili » Thu Sep 11, 637975 4:03 pm

Thanks Julie,
I'm going to check the info when I go to the OB on 4/11. I'll see if one of my doctors can order a 24 hr urine, to see what it is now.

julie f

Postby julie f » Thu Sep 11, 637975 10:48 am

PIH (aka gestational hypertension) is diagnosed when you meet the bp criteria but not the proteinuria requirements (300mg in a 24 hour sample). Both PIH and preeclampsia though are very dangerous to mom and baby. As to whether you had PIH vs. preeclampsia - check your records to see your lab values. Some doctor seem to use the terms interchangeably.

I would ask your MFM for another 24 hour urine test to see how your kidneys are doing after the fact, some of us will continue to spill small amounts of protein indefinitely.

jennobili

Postby jennobili » Wed Sep 10, 637975 8:49 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone. I was just really curious to see if my doctors were being overly cautious or what. I guess they aren't.

I'm waiting to hear back on my referral request for the MFM. I see the OB who followed me in the hospital after the c-section (an associate of the MFM) for my last PP followup on 4/11. I am curious as to what she will say about getting pregnant again too.

Right now I am still on labetalol, but my internal med doctor gave me instructions on how to wean myself off, if my pressures start dropping too low. They did 1 24hr urine when I was in the hospital, but I don't know what the results of it were. That's something I should be able to find out at my 4/11 appointment. Everyone keeps saying I had PIH, not PE. Does this mean that there was no protein in the urine, or not enough to have worried about? That's what I need to find out. Since I also had HELLP, my internal med doctor, who I have seen 3 times since I got discharged from the hospital, has done 1 liver enzyme test on me (1week after discharge), and 2 CBCs on me (1 was 1wk after discharge, the other was 5 wks after discharge). The liver enzymes were normal on the test she ordered. The first CBC still showed low platelets, but the second one showed normal platelets, so she isn't doing anymore of those tests, at least for now.

And my body is getting back to normal in other ways too, since AF came back 5 weeks postpartum.

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”