Disability Insurance

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
missgamecock

Re : Disability Insurance

Postby missgamecock » Wed Jul 25, 2007 07:07 am

There are two bills in the house right now. One is S.80 for federal employees. The other is S.880 and this one is for private and federal employees to get paid 8 weeks leave under the family medical leave act. I will forward you the emails I have on it. But I put it in here in case anyone else is a federal employee and there is also the second bill that is trying to get passed as well. The S.80 is being talked about as being passed this session. The private sector/federal employee FMLA one is not one that is being talked about as a definite. But I guess that is because it is for private sector.

Here is how you can track the bills:
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s110-80

mrs. sagara

Postby mrs. sagara » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:05 pm

Sabrina,
I am a teacher, and my teacher disability program did not cover preg. disability.
Can you e-mail me the bill that would need to pass to get the automatic disability.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:14 pm

I tried to get the duck, but they will not cover me without an employer sponsor. I am going with a different one that will pay for bedrest but not after delivery. They allow you to double dip. Meaning I can get 30% tax free disability payments based on gross income (would be like 50% when you include taxes) and I figured I wouldn't be paying $250 in gas in a biweekly payperiod cause I commute and then I can double dip and use 40 hours of leave each biweekly payperiod. So for me it will be like getting a full paycheck. I only have a two month waiting period and YES I can be pregnant when I sign up for it. Signing up in November when I get my payraise. This one is through the union. Not sure of who the company is. Yes it does work this way because my coworker used it this way when she had heart issues. Oh it does not cover after delivery, but I will use sick, comp, and annual for that and figured if I went out at 24 weeks, I can stretch it out to be off for 6 months this way.

If congress passes a bill this session, then I won't need the disability plan because congress is trying to pass an automatic 8 week paid leave for federal employees that give birth since we are not eligible for disability.

katevans

Postby katevans » Fri Jul 20, 2007 08:11 pm

I also had "the duck" I was placed on "part time" hours starting at 4 months pregnant, at 6 months I was told by my Peri that I was done working. The "duck" paid for my salary with my decreased part time hours, and the 8 weeks following my c-section. The forms are online and they were very helpful.
When you sign up if I remember this correctly, you can not have a baby within the first 10 months. They state that to make sure that you are not pregers when you sign up.

emersons mom

Postby emersons mom » Fri Jul 20, 2007 07:45 pm

But I think you have to start the disability insurance way before you are pregnant......I tried to add into it when I was 3 months along and it was a no go! I also have a coworker in Nevada , a non-disability state, who needs back surgery and since he was diagnosed with the nerve damage he cannot get disability insurance......he has tried several companies.

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Fri Jul 20, 2007 07:23 pm

Echoing Kara... I used the company she "mentioned" with my last pregnancy and they paid for twelve weeks of bedrest prior to DD's birth, after which time they paid for eight weeks leave after my c/s.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Fri Jul 20, 2007 05:32 pm

I've heard the company with the duck (you know which one, right?) provides disability that you can pay into, out of your payroll checks and they covered pregnancy realted disability-at least in my state. I'd do some hunting around on the net!

thixson

Disability Insurance

Postby thixson » Fri Jul 20, 2007 05:22 pm

My new job does not pay into SDI - so in California I do not get the bonding leave, or the SDI (disability coverage). With my last baby and the PE, I had 16 weeks of disability. I am afraid I will end up on bed rest and poor. Does anyone have any private disability insurance that they have used for their pregnancies???

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”