infertility stinks...(long)

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
taras mom

Re : infertility stinks...(long)

Postby taras mom » Fri Jan 11, 2008 02:19 am

Rant away, Jana! We did a bunch of IUI cycles (Clomid and injectables) with no luck, and then it took three IVF cycles to get our sweet Nicky. I also had a hard time giving up on the IUI and moving on to IVF, but if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Still, I'm glad we tried it. (Nicky says Xander has the world's best birthday. Also, Gabriel was on our short list of boy names.) One big advantage of IVF over IUI is that you can do one embryo at a time to reduce the risk of multiples.

It's funny to hear young whippersnappers like you and Jennifer talking about time ticking away. ;)

lucy21

Postby lucy21 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 00:41 am

Hello Jana,
I haven't been on here for ages, but saw your post and thought I'd say hello......So sorry you are going through all of this. It is crappy enough that we have to suffer with PE, let alone struggle to get pregnant first off.
How is gorgeous Xander? He looks like a little angel. I bet he brings you so much joy.
I've just started the pill for another round of IVF. I was due for a frozen transfer the week before Christmas - I had three embies left and we had decided that we would have three more tries - one embie at a time and if it didn't work we would call it quits....BUT I got the dreaded phone call the day of transfer to say that none of them had thawed and that was it !!!
I was devestated and just couldn't give up without having another go, so back on the rollercoaster of drugs, needles and ultrasounds !!! Looking at an ET of around 18th of March, so fingers crossed that maybe luck will be with us this time - It will be nearly 2 years since our first IVF cycle and lots of lost embryo's along the way.

I think you have every right to want to add to your family - any way you can and it totally sucks that as you said "going to such extreme measures" to do so. I guess only you can decide if you can go through it all again. I totally relate to how you feel - it is sooooo much harder than I ever imagined, emotionally and physically - but if you end up with a baby in your arms, all the hard work is worth it.

Good luck hun with whatever you decide. Take care,
Love Lucy XX

jen44

Postby jen44 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 00:25 am

hi jana

i too know all too well how you are feeling and just wanted to offer my support. we have been ttc #2 for almost two years and my ds will be 4 next month and time is a ticking away. we are also unexplained, though secondary because we didn't have trouble conceiving ds, but nonetheless it sucks. big time. i also wished i had a reason for all of this, a reason the doctors can give me. i know there is a reason we just can't find it. we've tried clomid and injectibles with iui, none have been successful so i know IVF is the next step, i just still can't believe we are still on this journey, ugh. all we can do is hope and pray and keep holding on. much love.

aundapenner

Postby aundapenner » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:34 am

It's not selfish to want a family to include more than you and hubby. And it's not selfish to want siblings for your child.

I was always surprised when DH and I got pregnant with Henry. I'd been on teh pill for years but can honestly say that I am NOT a good pill taker. I'm still bad with my ppd meds. I just get lazy. And I was a bit of a "wild" girl if you KWIM. ;)

We were trying for over a year before I got pregnant. The peri I saw in Cleveland after Henry was born suggested that I might have PCOS, but since we then moved overseas, nothing more came of it. The peri here never mentioned anything like that. Since we just actively started TTC#2, I guess I have to wait a bit to see if nothing happens and then go to my OB.

I do find it frustrating though ... my sister has 3 kids - all easily conceived. And my brother has 2 very healthy bouncing boys - and his wife smoked while prego!!! My brother's kids have almost never been sick too ... I just shake my head sometimes ... sometimes things just don't seem "fair".

(((hugs)))

frumiousb

Postby frumiousb » Thu Jan 10, 2008 09:14 am

Hi Jana,

I'm sorry. I didn't realize that you'd already done IUI. I've never done it with Clomid, only injectables.

Cheryl

jana m

Postby jana m » Thu Jan 10, 2008 08:57 am

Cheryl,
The thing is that i have tried IUI before. We did four rounds of clomid and IUI and one round of injectable meds and IUI and nothing worked. That's why he doesn't think it's worth our time to go backwards. I'm going to see a regular OB/GYN tomorrow (I've only been seeing my peri since we moved to where we are currently living) and I"ll see what he thinks. I know if I insisted, my RE would oblige, he's just trying to save me time, money and heartache. I've had such success with IVF that's it really is probably my best option. Unfortunately our health insurace doesn't cover a dime of fertility treatments and we really like our savings!

Don't get me wrong. I am SO happy with what I do have. My three girls gave me the greatest gift...my son. If they had survived I know he wouldn't be here and I am just so in love with him. I guess I would just love for him to have a sibling. I don't know. Maybe I'm being selfish.

More thinking to do, I guess.

frumiousb

Postby frumiousb » Thu Jan 10, 2008 04:37 am

Hi Jana,

Many doctors think this about IVF, but I have to say that I'm pretty happy that my doctors have insisted on trying IUI first. It is much less invasive, and I have conceived three times on it (actually, I've conceived every single time that they've gotten the dosage right)-- I'm older than you. My REs logic is that unexplained infertility responds very well to IUI without all the added baggage that IVF seems to have.

Don't know if this helps or not.

Cheryl

mrs. sagara

Postby mrs. sagara » Thu Jan 10, 2008 02:43 am

Jana,
I so understand what you are going thru. I too conceived multiples thru fertility treatment (IUI)and lost them due
to an incompetent cervix.
My next pregnancy was a surprise, just when we were about to go thru another round of fertility treatment.
Sadly my little Benjamin didn't make it due to PE and an infection.
I recently posted how depressing it is to be in this quest to become a parent.
Currently I'm waiting on lab results to determine whether or not I have PCOS.
Whatever the result I have to add that
I always feel better coming here and letting it all out.
So think all you want and vent all you want.
There are many of us here that will lend an ear and support you.
Good Luck to you.

mommy1st

Postby mommy1st » Wed Jan 09, 2008 03:04 pm

Jana,
Rant away my dear! I know too well how much infertility stinks, big time I might add!!! I have PCOS so there is pretty much the reason but still it stinks knowing that you will never get pregnant on your own. We got pregnant with Braden with Clomid and if that won't work in the spring for us I am willing and so is DH to do IVF or whatever it takes to get pregnant. I too want Braden to have at least one sibling. For us we have been trying for another child on and off for 18 months now because like you said you never know how long it will take and those are the words of my dr. also:)

I pray that whatever you and DH decide to do it works for you and that Xander will be able to have another brother or sister!:)
((((HUGS))))

josiah1112

Postby josiah1112 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 03:03 pm

Good luck on your decision and I am so glad you have Xander to hang out with as well.Isn't it ironic how much we struggle to have our precious bundles while others so effortlessy "pop" them out?

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”