Question for the IVF ladies

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
norlisa k
Registered User
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 636727 7:01 pm
Location: Seattle, Washington
Contact:

Re : Question for the IVF ladies

Postby norlisa k » Thu Mar 25, 638619 5:32 pm

Hi Becky,

I am so sorry that you had a bad experience with your MFM. If in your shoes, I would do exactly what Sheri said--find another perinatologist. There are great ones out there who not only have the world-class knowledge and expertise to get us through pregnancies successfully, but also have the empathy to help you get the family that you want and who will listen to you and answer every question. Knowing your history and working with you is important, it should be a team effort between you and your doc, not you getting upset in frustration.

It is hard to make the decision on how many to transfer, because we cannot simply "try again." We want to maximize our chances of success without jeopardizing our future babies' lives, and unfortunately there is no "magic 8 ball" to always make that decision to matter how informed. It's a matter of trusting our gut and going in with informed choices of how many, when, etc. Hopefully you will get the MFM and RE who will give you all of the facts, and work with you, so that you won't have any regrets when you make your decision.

Again sending you and wishing you the best,

sheri-ct
Forum Moderator
Posts: 685
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 638295 10:25 am

Re : Question for the IVF ladies

Postby sheri-ct » Sat Mar 13, 638619 9:53 pm

I am so sorry about your appointment with your MFM doc. To be honest, that would be enough for me to be shopping for a new doc. While you would never expect them to remember every patient, it IS expected for them to review your chart before meeting with you based on the nature of the work they do. When I met with my current MFM group (different group than I had with my twins), BOTH doctors not only reviewed all of my records, but they had already written out recommendations for me and my OB.

Regarding how many to transfer, you have to do what makes you comfortable, but I would have transferred 2 of they were frozen together. I wouldn't want to 2nd guess a negative when we work so hard to make the embies. It's not like us IVFers can just "try again next month". You have 5 left. Is one frozen alone?

Sheri

rebecca2
Registered User
Posts: 640
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 638607 1:14 am

Re : Question for the IVF ladies

Postby rebecca2 » Wed Mar 03, 638619 12:18 pm

Sherri, Norlisa,

Thanks for your replies. I was 33 when we did the retrieval, but turned 34 during the 2ww. So, while my RE and MFM call them 33 yo eggs, I call them 34. ;) My clinic doesn't have much data on FET 5 day transfers. They lump all age groups together and have a success rate around 45%, but the number of transfers per year is relatively low for 5d so the percentage isn't all that reliable. As for refreezing success rates, I don't think they do it often enough to have statistics. It definitely isn't something they consider desirable. In my RE's words, I have very nice quality blasts--four 4AA and 1 4AB. AA is the best and the 4 is either based on a 1-5 or 1-4 scale with 1 being the worst.

Oddly enough I met with my MFM & OB yesterday and the MFM didn't seem overly concerned with us transferring two blasts. He said he didn't really have an opinion either way. Of course, he is also the same *&$ that walked into the room and asked me what he saw me for in the past. He didn't remember that 4 months ago he recommended that we should deliver my daughter at 26w5d or that she passed away. Apparently it was too much effort to look at the file! I know all of their patients are high risk, but I would think (hope) that poor outcomes are not the norm and he would remember them. I'm not saying he made a poor decision with the recommendation to deliver, but the loss of my daughter apparently doesn't phase him.

Thanks for your advice.

norlisa k
Registered User
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 636727 7:01 pm
Location: Seattle, Washington
Contact:

Re : Question for the IVF ladies

Postby norlisa k » Wed Feb 17, 638619 6:09 am

Hi Becky,

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your daughter.

Haven't tried refreezing blasts, but when doing this FET, the RE highly recommended that we transfer two, since our two embryos were frozen together (as yours are) and since refreezing after a single embryo transfer could lower the chances of the refrozen embryo surviving another freeze/thaw cycle.

I agree with Sheri, there are many factors to consider in terms of refreezing: how old were you when the embryos were frozen, what is the quality of the blasts, what are the individual clinic's success rates with refreezing, FET, blastocyst transfer, what are the strong points of your embryologists (some do specialize in FET thawing). Making sure that you are comfortable with the RE clinic's success rates & embryologists, as well as physicians is important. Hopefully they can answer the questions about refreezing and possible damage to your embryos to your satisfaction, and you have (or can find) a clinic that you are comfortable with.

With a past history of preeclampsia postpartum (and chronic hypertenstion), my RE moved forward *only* with the blessing of my perinatologist, and he reluctantly let us transfer two embryos.

I wish you the best, and comfort and success with all of your decisions throughout this FET process...

sheri-ct
Forum Moderator
Posts: 685
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 638295 10:25 am

Re : Question for the IVF ladies

Postby sheri-ct » Sun Feb 07, 638619 8:48 pm

Hi Becky,

I am so sorry about the loss of your daughter.

I am an IVF vet (you would fall over if I told you how many cycles I have done over the years). I developed severe pre-e with my twins at 32 weeks, so my OB/RE/MFM all strongly recommended transferring one at a time and mine were frozen individually. I did 2 FETs with 1 embie and they were both negative. I then went back on Lupron Depot (nasty drug!) for 3 months for my endo. For the next FET, the embie lost some cells, so I decided to thaw the remaining one b/c I did not want to risk a BFN and have to go on Lupron Depot again. The last embie lost a lof of cells, so I decided to transfer both. My HCG numbers were pretty high, so it was a stressful wait for the u/s, but it all worked out.

How old were you when the embies were frozen? That is a big factor in your chances of success. Have you talked to your clinic about refreezing? My embies were day 3 and I was told they could be refrozen if they grew to blast. Make sure they can/will refreeze if that will impact your decision.

Good luck!

Sheri

rebecca2
Registered User
Posts: 640
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 638607 1:14 am

Question for the IVF ladies

Postby rebecca2 » Sun Feb 07, 638619 10:27 am

I developed PE at 26 weeks during my 1st pregnancy and had to deliver my daughter at 26w5d due to fetal inicators. She passed away aprox 40 minutes later. Now I'm gearing up for my first FET & trying to decide how many 5 day blasts to transfer. We transfered two 3 day embryos during our 1st cycle & only one implanted so it is tempting to transfer two again. Our embryos are frozen in pairs, so if we only transfer one, we will refreeze the other (assuming both survive the thaw). Has anyone tried refreezing blasts? I don't hear much about refreezing & I'm concerned it will damage them? Also, given your past history of PE what is your RE recommending?


Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests