Surrogacy is a TTC option after PE

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
mommy1st

Re : Surrogacy is a TTC option after PE

Postby mommy1st » Fri Nov 15, 638622 12:20 pm

Niki,

Again, I am so happy for you. I've actually been following your blog and am so happy and amazed with your story you are truly an inspiration to us all!!

annes
Forum Moderator

Postby annes » Fri Nov 15, 638622 3:47 am

Congrats! I am so happy for you and Josh, and as always am so inspired by your story! Keep us updated!

jackie cargen

Postby jackie cargen » Sun Nov 03, 638622 2:42 pm

I've also been lurking - havent posted for a while. However, I look out for your postings to get an update. I am thrilled about your news! I look forward to hearing about the journey and seeing pics of your beautiful gifts when they arrive.

theartsymom

Postby theartsymom » Wed Oct 23, 638622 12:47 am

Congratulations! Congratulations! I am thrilled to hear your latest news.

jules2

Postby jules2 » Fri Oct 11, 638622 3:09 am

That is really great news! So happy for you, and hope it all goes smoothly. I'm sticking with ttc myself for various reasons but can also completely understand your decision.

brianned5

Postby brianned5 » Thu Oct 10, 638622 6:36 am

Congratulations! Twins, how amazing. I hope all goes wonderfully!

biogal

Surrogacy is a TTC option after PE

Postby biogal » Mon Sep 30, 638622 3:53 pm

I'm not new to the boards and actually used to post often, but recently I've simply been lurking due to the unique nature of my trying to conceive efforts following my tragic preelcamptic pregnancy. However, very recently a good friend from the boards (thanks "K") reminded me that sharing my story may be helpful to others, so here goes ...

After a long battle with infertility I became pregnant in August '07 through IVF. My pregnancy was uncomplicated until the 23rd week when there was a noticeable increase in my blood pressure, a high level of protein in my urine, and an extremely IUGR baby. This landed me in the hospital and a little less than 3wks later I developed HELLP and delivered my son, Myles, by emergency c-section. Myles weighed less than a pound, but to the surprise of everyone he managed to put up 26-day fight for life! Sadly Myles lost his battle to pneumonia and complications of prematurity. Myles was a true miracle in more ways than one and has been a true inspiration to many. We love him more than life itself, miss him dearly, and think of him daily.

Preeclampsia had stolen so much from us, but we refused to let it defeat us. Therefore, we continued our journey to have another child. We sought out the advice from several MFMs and no one could give us a clear picture of our future risk of recurrence. Some estimated our risk as low as 20-30% whereas others put as at a much higher risk around 70% of recurrence. All agreed that preeclampsia would be inevitable in a subsequent pregnancy and most predicted that if PE struck again in a future pregnancy that it would likely strike later and would be less severe. However, no one could show me any clear, definitive data to support this claim.

Despite the risks we guardedly decided to try again. Two IVF cycles and two miscarriages later we were back to where we'd started 4 years prior. It was at this point when I decided that we needed to pursue another path on our quest to another baby. This is when I began to research surrogacy. I will admit that the thought of having another woman carry my baby(ies) and never experiencing pregnancy again wasn't all that appealing to me at first, but when I started to set my "needs" aside and focus more on the health of a future baby(ies) I became more receptive to the idea.

Fortunately my wonderful cousin, "K", offered to act as our surrogate (gestational carrier). So in January '09 we transferred two previously frozen embryos to my cousin's uterus and waited two weeks to learn that she was pregnant. We were expecting another baby! Unfortunately, the baby miscarried at 8.5wks. But we didn't let this stop us and prepared for another IVF cycle. In June '09 I went through another egg retrieval, my husband did his part, and we transferred two embryos to my cousin's uterus again. Only four days later home pregnancy tests were already showing +. Blood pregnancy tests confirmed that once again we were expecting. Early ultrasounds showed two babies with strong beating hearts. So, now through the amazing gift of gestational surrogacy we are expecting twins in February 2010 and couldn't feel more blessed!

I share this with you because I read about surrogacy as an option for dealing with preeclampsia in a subsequent pregnancy, yet could find few women (okay only one) who ventured down this path. I'm an open book when it comes to my journey and would love to be here to share my experience with others who might be thinking about this option. I wish you all much success in your attempts to conceive and I hope that one day everyone is blessed with miracles of their own!

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”