Would like to have multiples

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
beth11

Re : Would like to have multiples

Postby beth11 » Thu Oct 30, 638628 4:30 am

Sorry to jump on board late here, but I just had to respond. My first pregnancy was with twins as a result of fertility treatment. I developed HELLP at 19 weeks and we obviously lost the babies. My MFM encouraged us to try again, but stressed that we had to do whatever possible to insure that it was not another multiple pregnancy. In his mind multiples increased the risk and severity of pre-e so significantly, that being pregnant with a single this time is really key.

Sorry to play Debbie Downer, I know of tons of twin pregnancies that work out just fine! But your post just really spoke to me. We miss our twins every day, they were an absolute dream come true - and I would love to try to have twins again. But the increased risk, when there's already a history of pre-e, just isn't worth it IMO. Thanks for letting me share :)

ericam_hampton

Postby ericam_hampton » Fri Oct 17, 638628 10:55 am

Thank you to everyone who responded to my question on having multiples. I am just going to try to conceive naturally and will be ecstactic with whatever outcome I am blessed with. I am very thankful for the two healthy and beautiful children that I have now! Thanks again for your input!

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 07, 638628 6:23 pm

Hi Erica

I second what other mothers have said. Multiples are NOT the goal of infertility clinics and/or Doctors. They carry a lot of additional risk. It is not something that I would take lightly (look at Octomom and Jon and Kate!). From a health perspective, if you want a huge family it would be safer to adopt a whole bunch of multiples.

Good luck!

norlisa k

Postby norlisa k » Tue Oct 07, 638628 3:02 pm

Hi Erica,

I was on clomid for a while when TTC. My OB/GYN told me that it could thin out the uterine lining when pregnant. For some women, it also does have some other serious side effects (as Sheri said). It's something that I would only take under a physician's supervision after some serious discussion on why one would need it.

Being pregnant with multiples carried a whole lot of extra risk, including an increased risk of preeclampsia (which I did get postpartum). This is a serious risk not just for mom, but for babies as well, as you know with your history of HELLP. Before my IVF cycle/pregnancy with the twins, I was aware of the increased risk of preterm delivery, gestational diabetes, preeclampsia. A twin pregnancy was not and is not the goal for infertility clinics; both my infertility doctor and perinatologist agreed that singleton pregnancies are healthier for both mom and baby.

Again like Sheri, I love having my twins and wouldn't change it for the world. In your shoes, I would sit down and have a serious discussion with your docs about your history with HELLP, the possible effects of clomid, and the possible complications of a multiple pregnancy for you and your baby(ies).

Good luck as you go on your pregnancy journey,

sheri-ct
Forum Moderator

Postby sheri-ct » Tue Oct 07, 638628 12:12 pm

Have you experienced infertility? Clomid can be very dangerous if taken unmonitored and carries several side effects. Also, multiples would make your already high risk pregnancy even more dangerous. Have you discussed this with your OB?

Don't get me wrong, I love having twins, but my pregnancy had several complications and I almost lost my DS.

Sheri

ericam_hampton

Would like to have multiples

Postby ericam_hampton » Tue Oct 07, 638628 7:00 am

I had HELLP with my last two pregnancies...my kids were born healthy and are doing wonderful. It was very scary, but well worth everything we went through to have our little angels! I would like to get pregnant again and my OBG is a for it. I would like to have multiples and have considered taking clomid. What are the risks for multiples?

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”